Gap Beside Ceiling Box

Old 02-15-06, 05:10 PM
Question Gap Beside Ceiling Box

Hi all,

I am now redoing my office bedroom. I removed the old ceiling box and installed a fan box to support the ceiling fan I plan to put up.

In the process, I knocked a few small chunks of dryall out. The gap varies in size around the box. Most of it is about 1/4". But there are two spots that concern me. They are about 3/4" to about 1".

How do I go about fixing the big gaps? The space above is easily accessible from the attic. I plan to put up a fan that hugs the ceiling, so it would cover up the gaps anyway. However, I am worried baout the blown-ion insulation falling.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-06, 05:15 PM
You should be able to fill with spackling compound or mud. Shouldn't be a very big job.

Old 02-15-06, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what I would do. You can buy a small can of pre mixed spackling at any big box. A small - probably 1/2 pint size is more than enough. You could even bridge the gaps with masking tape after packing in the compound, so that it doesn't sag and fall out before it sets. The paddle fan canopy will cover it so no need to sand etc.

Old 02-15-06, 06:34 PM
Question

Awesome! I'm glad it's that easy. I was afraid it would be some big chore.

If I put masking.duct tape over it to support it, does it pose any big fire hazard? I wouldn't think so, considering the dryall is half cardboard and half gypsum (or whatever it is). But I thought I'd ask anyway!

Thanks!

Old 02-15-06, 07:54 PM
I did this the first time I installed a ceiling fan also. My situation was like yours; I had access from above. So what I did was glue a piece of wood (I used a piece of a shim; sounds like you could also) to the backside of the hole, making sure that the shim covered the hole. I used wood glue, and weighed it down with a spare J-box to make sure it took.

I then had back for the mud to adhere to, so then it was just a matter of putting on multiple layers (I found that many thin layers dried faster than one big layer) until I was flush with the surrounding ceiling. Then sand, texture, prime and paint.

Or you could also use a drywall patch.