Can I do this?

Old 02-17-06, 05:37 AM
Can I do this?

Obviously I don't know what I'm asking so don't laugh:

I am remodling a kitchen and I have an electrical box on the wall that just has a solid plate over it, directly over the dishwasher, the dishwasher is on a plug that is located down the wall below this box. Inside the box is two wires spliced together. One wire has two blacks and two whites. The other wire has one black and one white. All three whites are joined and all three blacks are joined by wire nuts.

I'm tiling the back splash area and I will either cover the box with tile or put an outlet in the box that is capped. Can I put an outlet in this box and have two outlets on the same line? Am I better off covering it up?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-06, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by derek
I'm tiling the back splash area and I will either cover the box with tile or put an outlet in the box that is capped. Can I put an outlet in this box and have two outlets on the same line? Am I better off covering it up?
You can't cover the box and you may not be able to put a receptacle in it.

All boxes MUST remain permanently accessible. You can't hide them inside walls, or behind tile.

To determine if you can put a receptacles on the wire, you need to figure out what circuit these wires are on. If the wires are on the same circuit as the other counter top receptacles then you could install receptacles.

Old 02-17-06, 12:25 PM
They are on the same circuit, so how the outlet be wired?

In the box are two wires, one with two whites, two blacks, and the other with one white and one black (I'm pretty sure this one goes down to the outlet where the dishwasher is plugged in) All three whites are joined at a wire nut, as are all three blacks.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-17-06, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by derek
They are on the same circuit
They are on the same circuit as what?

If these are wires on the dishwasher circuit then you cannot place a receptacle here.