Using 220 wiring for 120 use

Old 02-17-06, 10:19 PM
Red face Using 220 wiring for 120 use

I recently converted from electric to gas range. This left me with the 220 outlet still available behind the range. I want to use this but only for 110 useage. If I really "hide" one of the outside hot wires and wire the middle and remaining outer wire to a 110 outlet I feel this is doable. I haven't forgotten to include the green ground in this equation. I'll be using a medal box to hold the outlet. My question is, since the 220 wires are so thick, can I wire a solid 12 gauge copper wire to this 220 wire so that the outlet can be wired. Why does the 220 have to be so thick? Because they are strand.???
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-06, 12:00 AM
I feel this is doable.
This isn't Star Wars. Feelings have to take a backseat to facts here in the real world.

Exactly where are you going to get a little green wire?

> My question is, since the wires are so thick, can I wire a solid
> 12 gauge copper wire to this wire so that the outlet can be wired.
You could, but don't do this.

> Why does the 220 have to be so thick? Because they are strand.???

No, because they carry higher current than a 12 AWG wire.
I can run 240V over any size wire. Voltage and wire gauge are unrelated.

Stranded wires are a convenience for flexibility. Stranding adds just a little to the overall size.

Old 02-18-06, 05:44 AM
As I stated in a similar post last night, you can only do this if the existing cable has the proper wires present. You need one or two hot wires, a neutral and a ground. The circuit has one of those, but may not have both. Without a ground and without a neutral you cannot convert the circuit to 120 volts.

For home AC use, 120 or 240 volts, the thickness of the wire is determined by the current that the wire will be carrying. Circuits for general purpose 120 volt receptacles and lights are either 15 amp or 20 amp circuits. Electric water heaters, electric dryers and electric ranges can range are typically 240 volts, and range from 20 amps to 50 amps.