crimp connectors. brass verses aluminum.

Old 02-18-06, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crimp connectors. brass verses aluminum.

I needed a crimp-on connector for 16 gauge stranded wire, 110 volt connection. Ace hardware didn't carry them in the electrical isle. So I bought one from the Ace automotive isle. However, I later realized that the automotive crimp connectors are aluminum, while the electrical isle product is brass.

Hmmmmm? Am I going to start a fire? Are they interchangable? Both were rated and sized for 16 gauge wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-06, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its pretty unlikely the crimps were either brass or aluminum. Aluminum requires a special crimpper that insures an airtight connection while brass is normally brittle and will break when bent - as would happen when crimpped. MOST likely is that one of the connectors is plain copper and the other tinned copper, although plain copper is rare as a crimp-type connector and is normally found tinned in connectors of this size. If in fact you can prove one of the connectors is aluminum it needs to be removed and a copper type used.

Either way, in automotive wiring tinned copper crimps should be used when you have to use this type of connector. If at all possible an uninsulated type crimp should be used, the connection soldered, and self sealing shrink sleeve used over the splice, especially if this is on the exterior of the vehicle.

UNK