200amp upgrade

Old 02-19-06, 01:19 PM
200amp upgrade

Can anyone give me a ballpark dollar amount to upgrade to 200 amp service with a 40 breaker panel but only using about 25 breakers at this time so the rest will remain blank. The house is on Long Island. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-06, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having not lived or worked down there in over 15 years it's hard for me to say with any accuracy, but I think $1800-$2000 is a safe number.
Around here $1500 has become almost the low average.

Old 02-19-06, 06:12 PM
i am in the LI area and like petey said there are too many variables to give a price, but ballpark is $1-2k. price should only be 1 factor b/c there are alot of unqualified people running around long island doing electrical work and they get the work by coming in with such a cheap price. its sad to say but most home owners put more time and research into buying a digital camera than to bringing in a stranger into their house to do work. check with the better buisness, consumers, check status of license and insurance the contractor has and if he has illegals working for him you personally can be sued if they get hurt on your property. find out if they are going to do a code job at a minimum and if it will be filed for and inspected by an approved underwriter and then if it passes lipa will come out and do there own inspection and assessment on there line going to your point of attachment.

Old 02-19-06, 06:33 PM
We are having our service upgraded to 200 amps here in AZ. The licensed contractor gave us a written quote of $1800 + change, for his work. The POCO has to move a power pole, we live in the country, we haven't checked what they will charge yet.

Old 02-19-06, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by tach
price should only be 1 factor b/c there are alot of unqualified people running around long island doing electrical work and they get the work by coming in with such a cheap price.
My mom and sister & family are still down there and this is a very sad fact. I hear such horror stories the last few years. It seems almost half of all contractors are simply out to screw folks over. It gives all contractors such a bad name.
At the same time customers almost feel they can screw with contractors. They think they can hold payments back for as long as they want and find the tinest things to pick at to not pay.
This is why I make sure I have a solid contract and I make sure I do the right thing every time.

I get LI, City and Jersey folks up here all the time and it's wierd when they ask for refrences, proof of insurance, etc. Everything I do is word of mouth and trust is still a big thing. You trust me to do a job right, and I trust you to pay me afterward.
If I get a bad feeling from one of these folks I say "No thank you".

Old 02-20-06, 08:17 AM
petey is right in saying customers will try and screw contractors. the good thing about electrical is the underwriters approval certificate is mailed to the contractor and is not passed on to the homeowner until final payment is made. i also get a good contract with everything documented. for services 99.99999% of the people think a service upgrade will solve overloaded branch circuits with breakers tripping. i write and state the fact on the contract that a service upgrade allows for future expansion and in no way will solve overloaded circuits existing in the dwelling. for example "when i use the toaster and microwave at the same time the breaker trips."