speaker wire

Old 02-20-06, 10:08 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 57
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
speaker wire

Building a new house and I want to run speaker wire. Should I use some 16/2 or 16/4 for the runs? I am wiring to about 8 rooms.
Old 02-20-06, 10:30 AM
bolide's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,909
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you want mono-, stereophonic, or surround sound?
Old 02-20-06, 12:37 PM
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 510
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you going to have volume controls in each room? Are you planning a centralized audio system? I would run a 4-conductor speaker wire (I prefer something a bit larger than 16AWG) from the central location to each volume control (home run rather than daisy-chain) and then a pair of 2-conductor wires from each volume control to each of the speakers associated with that volume control. Make sure you use speaker wire rated for in-wall use.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: