I just don't understand

Old 02-20-06, 02:00 PM
I just don't understand

I recently moved into a newly remodeled house and have been having several problems. One of which is: Everytime I plug my space heater into a wall outlet, it automatically turns off. I went to Radio Shak and purchased a GFCI tester and it tells me that there are open grounds in 99%of the wall outlets. Could this be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 02:06 PM
I doubt that the open grounds have anything to do with your space heater shutting off.

Does this happen with one particular receptacle, or any receptacle that you plug your space heater into? Does anything else work properly in the same receptacles? Do you do anything to restore power to the receptacles other than unplugging the space heater?

The open grounds exist because someone incorrectly replaced older two prong receptacles with newer three prong ones. You should correct this serious problem immediately. Unless they provided GFCI protection then the open grounds are a code violation and are dangerous to use with grounded equipment.

Old 02-20-06, 02:12 PM
thanks

All of the outlets in the house do the same thing with the space heater. However, lights, alarm clocks and other small devices work just fine. All I do to reset this is unpluging the heater.

Old 02-20-06, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
I doubt that the open grounds have anything to do with your space heater shutting off.

Does this happen with one particular receptacle, or any receptacle that you plug your space heater into? Does anything else work properly in the same receptacles? Do you do anything to restore power to the receptacles other than unplugging the space heater?

The open grounds exist because someone incorrectly replaced older two prong receptacles with newer three prong ones. You should correct this serious problem immediately. Unless they provided GFCI protection then the open grounds are a code violation and are dangerous to use with grounded equipment.
I have encountered the same problem with all of the other outlets. I do have other small devices plugged into them though, lights, alarm clocks, computer etc...
The only thing I do to restore the power is unplug the heaters.

Old 02-20-06, 02:21 PM
Do these heaters work ANYWHERE?

Old 02-20-06, 04:18 PM
Without sounding overly simple but does the heater fan just stop and no heat? Is it thermostat controlled? Some have anti tilt switches that break the power circuit to the heater if it is knocked over. Maybe something like this is faulty.

Old 02-20-06, 06:29 PM
Get yourself a volt meter (a cheap $10.00 one will work for this) ASAP and test the voltage at the receptacle before AND after you plug the heater in. Sorta sounds like you may have a neutral problem but you haven't posted any of the other classic signs like lights getting dimmer/brighter.

BUT, I would unplug everything you can until you can get this checked out because it does sound like a voltage issue of some kind.

Information from the volt meter can help indicate what and how serious your problem is.