Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Two lights/two separate switches change to three way switch?

Old 02-21-06, 01:40 PM

In my kitchen, there are two separate light fixtures that are controlled by two separate (single-pole?) light switches. (Ex. Switch 1 operates light 1, Switch 2 operates light 2) Both fixtures are on the same circuit. Is there a way to modify this setup so that both lights are controlled by both switches (ex. Switch 1 operates light 1 and light 2 and switch 2 operates light 1 and 2)? What needs to be done to make this work? I know that I would need to replace the switches, but what type of wiring is necessary to do this?

How hard of a job is this? Are there any codes that I may be breaking by doing this?

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 01:56 PM
Exactly what you need to depends on many factors. As a minimum you will need to run 3 conductor (plus ground) cable. How you run it and where you run it depends on the wiring.

You may be able to run it from one switch to the other . You may have to run it from each switch to one of the lights. There are numerous possibilities.

If you describe the current wiring at each switch and at each light we can sort it out. However, you need to be very specific about all the cables in each location, all the wires, and how they are all connected to anything.