Guardian 15KW transfer switch

Old 02-21-06, 04:23 PM
Guardian 15KW transfer switch

Hello everyone. It is nice to have a place to come and ask questions. I have decided (like most) after Katrina to install a home standby generator. The unit is ordered and on its way to be installed before hurricane season.

My question is whether or not Murray breakers are compatible with the 100 amp transfer switch/sub panel that comes with this unit? I would like to replace the standard 15 amp breakers with 20 amp breakers to match my main panel.

Thanks again!

EDIT: This is a 100 amp 12 circuit transfer switch that comes standard with the 13KW/15KW air cooled Generac Guardian Standby Generator.

Last edited by QuickLrnr; 02-22-06 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by QuickLrnr
My question is whether or not Murray breakers are compatible with the 100 amp transfer switch/sub panel that comes with this unit?
Murray will tell you that their Type BR breaker are interchangable.

> I would like to replace the standard 15 amp breakers with 20 amp breakers to match my main panel.

Aren't you going to ask why they are only 15A?

Last edited by bolide; 02-21-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by bolide
Murray will tell you that their Type BR breaker are interchangable.

> I would like to replace the standard 15 amp breakers with 20 amp breakers to match my main panel.

Aren't you going to ask why they are only 15A?

You did not tell us a thing about your subpanel except that it comes with the alternator.

Thanks for the information on the Murray breakers. I am not installing an alternator so that may have lead to your confusion. I assumed that anyone who would respond would be familure with the 100 AMP transfer switch that comes standard with these units. Also I don't need to ask why they are only 15A, but for the sake of someone who may being doing searches in the future they will need to make sure they run the proper guage wire to support the proper amp breaker.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-06, 08:16 PM
I assumed that anyone who would respond would be familar with the 100 AMP transfer switch that comes standard with these units.
I was going to ask what unit. But I see that you put it in the title of the thread.
That's fine. I read all threads. I need to start reading the titles too, I suppose. Usually they are uninformative, like "please help me I have no idea". So I have a bad habit of ignoring the topic title.

Note that I said that Murrays says.
However, if you want it in writing, you have to pay for a classified breaker.
It's the same breaker, just a bigger price tag for a little paper sticker.

So did you get the 12-circuit panel?

Old 02-22-06, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by bolide
I was going to ask what unit. But I see that you put it in the title of the thread.
That's fine. I read all threads. I need to start reading the titles too, I suppose. Usually they are uninformative, like "please help me I have no idea". So I have a bad habit of ignoring the topic title.

Note that I said that Murrays says.
However, if you want it in writing, you have to pay for a classified breaker.
It's the same breaker, just a bigger price tag for a little paper sticker.

So did you get the 12-circuit panel?
That is a good point. I should have put the generator info in the message body also. I will remember that next time.

I just checked my order sheet and it is a 12 circuit panel. I have a friend who is a recently certified electrician. He is a great guy, but he doesn't have any experience with the Generac transfer switch... YET!. He is working under some other more experienced electricians doing new residential work while the other guys are off doing Katrina rebuilding. Since I want to run my air conditioner I am going to have to install a 50 amp breaker in the panel and run the appropriate guage wire. We probably won't use the pre-wired stuff that goes from the transfer switch to my main 200amp panel. He went to Home Depot and briefly looked at a display. He said that in his opinion it didn't have the proper guage wire in the pre-wired kit to do what I needed to do and meet code. He said his main concern was the it was a 100amp sub-panel, but he couldn't see the proper guage wire for 100 amp in the pre-wired kit.

My generator isn't in yet. It is ordered. I had to order it early to be ahead of the Hurricane season rush. I honestly hope that I never have to use it!!!

Old 02-22-06, 07:57 AM
He said that in his opinion it didn't have the proper gauge wire in the pre-wired kit
Don't be concerned by this.
Pre-wired appliances don't have to use the same gauge that NEC requires.
You will find 14 AWG wire in a water heater (which is too small and not derated for the high ambient temperature according to NEC). You will find 16 or 18 AWG in a clothes washer.
For typically very short runs inside a metal enclosure, this is not a problem.

Old 02-22-06, 09:31 AM
Excellent information. I finally found an install manual for what appears to be the transfer switch. This manual is not available on the Generac Website as far as I can tell. I hope this helps answer questions for other looking to install this unit. http://www.norwall.com/GenReadyKit[1].pdf

Also I edited my original posts to include better information.

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-06, 09:57 AM
the output of your generater is under 70 amps. the included wires are large enough. it's the transfer switch itself that is rated for 100 amps. hence the 70 amp double pole breaker that feeds utility to the transfer switch. i have the install manual if you need a copy.

Old 02-22-06, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by flopshot
the output of your generater is under 70 amps. the included wires are large enough. it's the transfer switch itself that is rated for 100 amps. hence the 70 amp double pole breaker that feeds utility to the transfer switch. i have the install manual if you need a copy.
I wasn't concerned about the generator side of the feed... I am concerned about the grid side. I just saw in the directions that the feed to the sub-panel will be a double pole 70 amp breaker. This means I have to ask the obvious question. Why isn't it a 100 amp double pole breaker feeding the sub-panel? Is the copy of the manual that you have different from the link that I posted above?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-22-06, 11:25 AM
Why isn't it a 100 amp double pole breaker feeding the sub-panel?
Because the alternator makes around 60A continuous, not 100A.

Old 02-22-06, 12:10 PM
generac uses the 100 amp switch for several units. 20k being the largest i belive. they also have a 200 amp for the 25k and up that can be used to feed a 200 amp main panel. they feel it's better to make one switch that is oversized and can support several units than make one switch for each. remember we are only talking about the actual switch not the number of breakers. that will vary with unit size. the copy that i have is out of a boxed 15k unit. Generac publication # OD8561, Rev.B/ 9.03 titled " The Basic How To Installation Guide For The Do-It-Yourselfer" 10 pages of content.

Old 02-22-06, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the publication number. I will search the Generac website and see if I can find it.

This has been great information.