Please explain what U-grounded means

Old 02-22-06, 04:38 AM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest
Talking Please explain what U-grounded means

Could anyone explain what a U-grounded receptacle is? I found some described this way but I'm really looking for quite a few self-grounding 115v receptacles. Is that the same thing? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-06, 04:59 AM
I have never seen the term 'U-grounded', however electrical terms are often regional. Could you provide some context? Are these an item on e-bay or some such?

Also, you use of the term 'self grounding receptacle' raises a red flag for me. In what situation are you planning on using these?

-Jon

Old 02-22-06, 08:20 AM
Often in the construction trades, a common household-type receptacle is called a "U-ground" (because it sort of has a U shape) to differentiate it from a twist-lock receptacle which is also very common on construction site temporary power equipment.

Old 02-22-06, 09:25 AM
U-ground could have different meanings depending on context.

An ungrounded receptacle has no U-ground.

A self-grounding receptacle has spring clips on the yoke and must be installed in a grounded metal box.

Old 02-22-06, 10:57 PM
A U-ground recepticle is one that has a U shaped grounding hole, which all modern domestic recpticles are. As opposed to other shaped grounding holes, from back when they started worrying about grounding appliances.

Self grounding is a separate feature, described in another post, and often included on other style recepticles and non-recepticle devices.

Old 02-23-06, 04:32 AM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help

Thanks to all who took the time to help. Special thanks to Classicsat.