Neutral / Ground Question

Old 02-22-06, 08:43 AM
W
WMW
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Neutral / Ground Question

The neutral and the ground in the main box in my house were put on a common bar. The bond screw to the box housing is in place and it appears the box has holes for a ground bar to attach, this just seemed to be an easier? solution to whoever originally wired it. This setup passed inspection at the time (1984). There appear to be enough spaces on the bar for everything going to it (however some of the neutrals are double-tapped anyway -- looking at the circuits they appear to be part of the house originals too).

Is there any reason to add a proper ground bar to the box at this point and pull all the grounds over to it, other than just making the inside of the box less spaghetti like? This is complicated by the fact that the box was made by Sylvania, whom I understand quit making boxes and would make finding the proper ground bar difficult, if not impossible.

Old 02-22-06, 08:47 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is proper for the neutral and ground to be connected in the main panel.

It is against code for there to be two neutral wires under a single screw, so you should fix this problem.

Old 02-22-06, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WMW
Is there any reason to add a proper ground bar to the box at this point and pull all the grounds over to it, other than just making the inside of the box less spaghetti like?
That is a reason only if you will be working in the box again.
Otherwise, if you undouble the neutrals and everything else is tight, why mess with it?

This is complicated by the fact that the box was made by Sylvania, who I understand quit making boxes and would make finding the proper ground bar difficult, if not impossible.
Based on the age of the box, and assuming that it is not painted on the inside nor rusted, I would say that any listed ground bars that fit properly (that is, neither too long nor too tall, e.g., Cutler-Hammer) would be suitable for this panel. Sylvania won't guarantee it. But I doubt that you will be making a claim against them anyway.

Old 02-22-06, 11:41 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WMW
This is complicated by the fact that the box was made by Sylvania, whom I understand quit making boxes and would make finding the proper ground bar difficult, if not impossible.
I'm pretty sure that GE products still fit Sylvania boxes. Go to an electrical supply house (not a big box) store and tell them what you need. They will be able to find a ground bar that fits, maybe even one that is listed for you box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: