Where to drill?

Old 02-22-06, 01:18 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to drill?

Ok, sorry for this lame question. I'm trying to wire my living room for surround sound. I drill a good sized hole in my wall....then go into my crawl space to drill a hole up into the wall. Hmmm, where's the wall? I don't want to drill up into my carpet or anything so how do I know I'm going to hit under the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-06, 01:41 PM
M
I'd drill a small hole (less than 1/8") from above at the edge of the carpet and the baseboard (pull the carpet back slightly to get as close to the baseboard as possible). Next stick a stiff piece of wire (maybe a piece of old coathanger) down through the hole. Go down into your crawl space, look for the piece of coathanger sticking down, measure over a couple of inches (to get to the middle of the wall - make sure you measure in the right direction) and drill straight up.

Old 02-22-06, 01:43 PM
W
wgc
long drill bit if hole is big enough

Define "good sized hole". You can get long flexible drill bits and extenders from any home center to drill from inside the wall. I have a 54" one that has worked well for installing new outlets, but if your holes are much smaller than an outlet, it may not bend enough and if your holes are too close to the ceiling you may not be able to feed a long enough one into the hole. There are always the options of giving it a try with a small drill bit where a bad hole can be easily disguised, or opening a larger temporary hole in the wall at or near the base, possibly by removing baseboard.

I am not a professional, only going by what I've tried so far or heard from others.

My family room was wired for surround sound by a previous owner. There is a convenient transition between sheetrock and wood about 9' up where the wiring could be easily tucked out of the way, however I had the same issues as you when I added network wiring.

Old 02-22-06, 04:10 PM
R
If there are other electrical wires entering the same wall space, you can line your hole up with thw holes for those cables.

Old 02-22-06, 08:12 PM
T
as racraft said existing wiring are good clues. measure off of perimeter walls if possible. when drilling have a second body upstairs to stop you before its too late. start with a small bit for testing, pull back the rug drill a hole leave it through and go down and look for the bit.

Old 02-23-06, 08:35 AM
O
All great advice! I did finally give in and cut out a big(2'X2') section of drywall near the baseboard so I could drill down, instead of up. When I pulled off the drywall, there was indeed an existing wire going down(good call). I just widened the hole and fed my wire that way. At least it gives me a MUCH better idea of where to drill on the other 2 walls. Problem solved.....THANKS GUYS!!!

Old 02-23-06, 10:02 AM
P
"Trick-of-the-Trade"-------- snip off an 8" straight piece from a wire-hanger, fasten the same into the chuck of a power-drill, an drill a "pilot-hole" thru floor next to the baseboard.