Standard Outlet to GFCI Outlet

Old 02-23-06, 09:25 AM
DevJust
Visiting Guest
Standard Outlet to GFCI Outlet

How can I go about changing over a standard outlet to a GFCI outlet. All of the other outlets that I have replaced have had either 2 wire ( black and white ) or 4 wire ( 2 black 2 white ). If possable could you explain both ways. The 4 wire is where I have power coming into the outlet and power going out to another outlet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-06, 09:31 AM
Do you want the GFCI to provide downstream protection, that is protection to any lights or receptacles on the balance of the circuit?

If you want GFCI protection at this location only then you connect ALL the wires to the LINE terminals of the GFCI. Hot wires (black) to the brass screws and neutral wires (white) to the silver screws.

If you want to provide GFCI protection to any downstream loads, then you connect the incoming power to the LINE terminals and the outgoing wires to the LOAD terminals. Hot wires (black) to the brass screws and neutral wires (white) to the silver screws.

In all cases ground wires are connected to each other, to the box (if metal) and to the the ground terminal of the GFCI receptacle.