Adding another grounding bar in panel

Old 02-23-06, 02:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding another grounding bar in panel

I've just added a second ground bar in my Murray panel but the instructions said nothing about bonding the bar to the original ground bar, which I'm sure it has to be.

What would be the correct wire type and size to bond the two bars together?

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-06, 03:35 PM
C
If you are attaching it to the can with provided hardware, you shouldn't have to bond it, as the act of conencting it to the can will ground it.

Old 02-23-06, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by rcash54
I've just added a second ground bar in my Murray panel
You don't bond a ground bar with wire. (This is not a neutral bar, correct?)

Did you attach it with a machine screw at a place in the panel provided for this?
The machine screw provides the bond.

Did you use a Murray ground bar?
If not, did you remove the paint from the panel first?

Old 02-24-06, 02:14 AM
R
This is not a neutral bar, correct
Did you use a Murray ground bar
No, it's a 15 position ground bar kit. I ran out of room on my original and I still need to add more circuits. I didn't see one for Murray so I bought this one made by electriCenter. It's an ECLX072M made for Siemens, who owns Murray.

Did you attach it with a machine screw at a place in the panel provided for this?
Well, there was no sign or sticker that said "place additional ground bar here", but there were three holes in the panel that had round stickers covering them, (I suppose to keep out unwanted critters) and two of them lined up perfectly with the bracket attached to the new bar, so that's where I stuck it. Actually, it was the only place where it could go...there was no other room anywhere else on the panel.

If not, did you remove the paint from the panel first
I did not remove any paint from the panel, but I did run a tap through each hole to remove any paint from the threads, so hopefully that will be enough to provide the correct, for lack of a better word, bond to the panel.

Old 02-24-06, 02:59 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by rcash54
two of them lined up perfectly with the bracket attached to the new bar, so that's where I stuck it. Actually, it was the only place where it could go...there was no other room anywhere else on the panel.
Then that is the correct location. A Murray ground bar is different from that for Cutler-Hammer or GE. But it sounds like the Siemens is the same thing as the old Murray version.

I did not remove any paint from the panel, but I did run a tap through each hole to remove any paint from the threads, so hopefully that will be enough to provide the correct, for lack of a better word, bond to the panel.
Bond is the correct term. It sounds like you did a good job.
If the screws are as tight as they go with a driver in one hand (no extra leverage), it is bonded.

Old 02-24-06, 03:16 AM
R
Thanks bolide.

Now I'll be able to complete all of my new circuits.