Replacing/moving a breaker box


Old 02-24-06, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Replacing/moving a breaker box

I'm sorry if there are already threads on this, but I've searched for quite a bit and couldn't find one.

Anyway, my question is this:

Does anyone know a ballpark figure on a) moving a breaker box , and b) how long that usually takes.

Basically, it's like this: Our breaker box is in our bathroom closet, and I really don't like it being there. It's rather old anyway, and I'd like to have it moved to a closet in the entry room.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 10:51 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 994
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If moving it, you'll have to follow new codes on where you put it. Be prepared for it not to be allowed in that closet. What kind of closet (and how big) is the one where you are planning on putting it?

How bad can it be where it is now to consider moving it? That's a lot of labor ($$$) no matter what...

Ballpark would be several days of fulltime, plus materials; could be as high as $4000.
Old 02-24-06, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,943
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAContractor
I'd like to have it moved to a closet in the entry room.
Due to placement rules you can almost never put a panel in a closet in a residential setting. The closet rules basically require that the closet be used ONLY for electrical equipment: no cloths, no storage, lots of clearance, etc.
Old 02-24-06, 02:47 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 131
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this the main panel or a sub. some areas have codes of the length of service entrance from point of entry to the main. moving this panel may require a main disconnect then the panel moved would be considered a sub panel. by me the ahj wants no more than 6 feet of service cable from the point of entry of the dwelling to the main breaker or disconnect. like i said this is the ahj by me the code says the disconnect shall be outside or inside nearest the point of entry of the service conductors. like i said by me the ahj defined that as 6 feet.
Old 02-24-06, 07:13 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are talking of of the circuit panel being old, I'd figure on replacing it anyway, especialy if it is an old panel you can't get pieces for, or one notorious for problems, such as Zinsco or US FPE panels.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: