Is this 120v or 240v?

Old 02-24-06, 11:37 AM
Is this 120v or 240v?

Question for ya guys (I've been posting quite a bit about these heater/thermostat upgrades haven't I :-D).

Anyway, situation = Replacing Electric Baseboard heaters and thermostats.

My question is whether I'm running of 120 or 240. Here's what I have:

1) 2 - 20amp Breaker
2) 12-2 Wire
3) Honeywell Programmable Thermostat - handles either 120/240
4) Baseboard Electric Heater
5) Line at Thermostat, 1 load wire out to heater
6) Connection in thermostat box is white line to white load wire, ground to ground and black line wire to thermostat wire 1, black load wire to thermostat wire 2.

From what I understand, I'd get more heat running 240v vs. 120v...and i want to be toasty Can this be told by this description, or do I need a meter?

Also, can anyone give me a brief once over of what this single line break and a double line break thermostat stuff is all about? The one I removed was double line break (as stated on the unit itself), but the new one wasn't maked, but I assume it's a single line break (it's only got 2 wires out of it, where as the old one had 4).

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks!

JP

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 12:24 PM
1) 2 - 20amp Breaker
What color wires are connected to the two 20A breakers?
Do you have a photo to show what you mean?

Last edited by bolide; 02-24-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 12:43 PM
Hi Bolide,

Sorry, I guess I meant a 1 - double 20amp breaker. Connected to 1 of the 20 amp is a black wire, and to the other 20amp is a white wire. I assume these are the white and black wires on the line wire at the thermostat.

Thanks!

JP

Old 02-24-06, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have 240v heat.
For one thing you will NOT get more heat from 240v as opposed to 120v. Where did you hear this?
A watt is a watt, and watts is what heats you. Not volts.

If you had two-pole thremostats that is what I would put back in. You can use a single pole but I always prefer two-pole for 240v appliactions.

Single pole only breaks one leg. Fine for 120v what there is only one hot.
Two pole breaks two legs, so both hots in a 240v application are broken when the heat is turned off. This way no voltage is present in the heater if it is turned all the way down.
With a single pole there is always voltage present, even if it is off.

Old 02-24-06, 01:09 PM
Thanks Speedy Petey,

Not sure where I heard that about 240v vs 120v....somewhere through the grapevine. I guess I'm glad I checked.

So, I take it that 'Single Line break' breaks 1 line in the circuit and 'double line break' breaks both lines...makes sense. Also makes sense that in a 240v single line break voltage would continue to the heater, since you're only breaking 1 hot.

So, I also understand why using a double line break on a 240v application is preferable. Are there any ramifications of not doing this...ie, having the single pole on 240v? Is it unsafe (fire hazard)? I assume that I'm not pulling any watts through when 1 line is broken...so I guess it's not costing me money.

I've already added the single pole thermostat (that's all I could find at the numerous local hardware stores) and I just want to see if I should throw that $50 out the window and replace it or not...

Thanks!

JP

Old 02-24-06, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With a single pole the thing is if anyone goes into the wiring without throwing the breaker (dumb anyway) there is still full 120v present.
It won't draw anything though if the stat is down or off.

Is this a programmable t-stat? I pay about $15 for a two-pole line volt stat.

Old 02-24-06, 01:52 PM
Ya, it's a Honeywell 5+1+1 programmable...ran me about $49 bucks at Home Depot. It's actually really nice (I like the interface much better than any other programmable thermostat I've worked with).

If the only real implication is the 120v still present in the heater with the breaker still on...I'll probably just leave it. I NEVER touch anything electrical without throwing the breaker. Heck, I even throw the breaker when I take the face plates off of plugs to paint around them.

Thanks for the help!

JP