Question on code and legalities

Old 02-24-06, 11:47 AM
Question on code and legalities

Just registered 5 minutes. Great site, lots of helpful info. Searched for 30 minutes but found no Q/A's with my issue. So here goes...
Just tore into my wall in my house to install my tv/theater system into it. I have an empty wall space about 3' deep (other side of space is my exterior wall) and 12' wide (height goes up to my ceiling. I am building shelves and sealing them up with trim to make it look custom.
I am tapping into an outlet about 1' from the system. I want to add a receptacle to the existing and mount it inside the wall, to then plug in an AV/SURGE protector strip that will also mount inside the wall (i don't want any wires showing).
Is it legal to mount a receptacle/AV Surge protector inside the wall or am I forced to run the wires to the surface receptacle?

I greatly appreciate anyone's help with this situation. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 12:18 PM
Not even a junction box with just wire splices can be hidden inside the wall. The only thing that can be IN the wall is runs of unbroken/unspliced cable, except for low-voltage like phones, cable TV and data.

You can build a custom box or something at the back of your shelving, something with a hinged top (or otherwise accessible) and maybe run your wiring in that?

Or you could provide access to the stuff in the wall sometimes, with a hinged cover, like you see for plumbing access sometimes. You can even have this access from the exterior, though that would be more work for weatherproofing.

Old 02-24-06, 12:36 PM
I appreciate your time and info MAC. Looks like I need to rethink my plan. Will probably mount the outlet to my box holding all of the equipment and leave enough space for my surge protector to fit behind everything.
Very much appreciated.

Old 02-24-06, 03:15 PM
I am unclear what you mean by 'inside the wall'. If you remove the AV equipment will you be to unplug the surge protector? You can not permanently cover it with drywall or paneling. If it has a removable cover or is just hidden then it is OK. The actually term is "accessible". You must be able to get to all connections without damaging permanent structure. A screwed on cover is OK. A nailed on cover is NOT.