breaker box space / but no space

Old 02-24-06, 12:40 PM
breaker box space / but no space

hello everyone. thanks for the help.

i had a single outlet in the basement hanging off of my main bathroom circuit. i decided to make it its own circuit as I have a small 3amp freezer on that receptacle and i didnt' want anything to shut that outlet down. besides i think the bathroom is suppose to stand alone. anyways....

i ran new 14/2 wire to a new outlet box. pulled the line back to the breaker box.

i have bryant breaker box, with at least 8 slots open. have a 15amp Murray breaker ready to go in that is supposed to be ok with bryant.

shut down the main, opened the box, and there is only one neuatral bus bar ( i think that is what it is called? and it is full with all of the neutral wires and the ground wires.

so... lots of slots no where to put the neutral. so:

call in a pro for new box? or ( if i do a new box, i will probably upgrade the service to 200a i guess now since they would be there)
is there something i can do that is easy and safe to give me some neutral room to use a couple of those open slots.

thanks again,
larry

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 01:16 PM
Rerun your cable using 12 gage cable. Bathrooms require a 20 amp circuit.

Ground wires may be doubled up on the neutral/ground bar, if the panel allows.

OR

Add a new ground bar.

Old 02-24-06, 01:26 PM
Sounds like he is removing the basement receptacle from the bathroom circuit, so he should be okay if he just needs a 15A circuit. Ordinarily, I'd say run #12 and a 20A circuit just because it's practically the same cost for such a small job. but if you've already run it in #14 for a 15A dedicated receptacle in the basement, that seems fine.

Old 02-27-06, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the help, yes it is not a bathroom, i took it off the bathroom. i ran 14 because i am using a 15a breaker, which is what i understand to be normal for receptacles in a room. i had a huge roll, so i understand 12/2 works, but i would have to buy it.

i like the idea of adding another bar. any posts somewhere that explains this process. do i link it to the other bar? with what gauge wire?

if so can i just add neutrals and grounds to the other bar on the other side of the box?

Old 02-27-06, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by lalsimmons
i ran 14 because i am using a 15a breaker, which is what i understand to be normal for receptacles in a room.
Your understanding is flawed. 14 gage wire is correct for a 15 amp circuit, but "normal for a room" means nothing. Normal for bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms would be a 20 amp circuit.

i had a huge roll, so i understand 12/2 works, but i would have to buy it.
This is a poor reason for running a 15 amp circuit.

I would never run a new 15 amp circuit, except for lighting if the situation warranted it. A 20 amp circuit provides one third more power than a 15 amp circuit.

i like the idea of adding another bar. any posts somewhere that explains this process. do i link it to the other bar? with what gauge wire?
Buy a book or two on home wiring. It will explain all of this in detail.