Recessed outlets & Electric ranges

Old 02-24-06, 03:55 PM
Recessed outlets & Electric ranges

What % of electric ranges require recessed outlets?

I just bought a freestanding Maytag Gemini double oven(hasn't arrived yet) and read a review that said a recessed outlet was needed.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...nt_78116916868 %22recessed outlet%22 %22gemini%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Last summer I had an electrician install a 220v outlet so I could eventually replace my gas range. The outlet he installed isn't recessed.

Do I need to have another electrician "recess" the outlet and remove the gas pipe coming up through the floor that also isn't recessed?

I hope my ignorance last summer won't cost me. The electrician never brought up the possibility of needing a recessed outlet. At the time I thought it would've looked better recessed but didn't ask. I thought I was saving $($150/HOUR LABOR) by not asking it be recessed at the time since I figured it was "only" a superficial thing.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is that a free standing range as it looks to be?

99.9% of free standing slide in ranges can accomodate a surface range receptacle mounted at the floor, but on the wall, in the center of the range.

Many mid to higer end units do require special placement. A Bosch I did last week had a space of about 6"x8" to install the receptacle.

Old 02-24-06, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Is that a free standing range as it looks to be?

99.9% of free standing slide in ranges can accomodate a surface range receptacle mounted at the floor, but on the wall, in the center of the range.

Many mid to higer end units do require special placement. A Bosch I did last week had a space of about 6"x8" to install the receptacle.
Thank you for the response Speedy Petey.

It's freestanding.

The outlet is mounted at the floor, on the wall, where the range meets the left cabinet. So it meets the left hand lower corner of the rear of the range.

Old 02-24-06, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Usually to one side or the other is not good. The recess behind a range is in the center to about 8" from the edges.