Can I add to Electrical to Pool Sub Pannel for a Spa?

Old 02-25-06, 09:48 AM
Can I add to Electrical to Pool Sub Pannel for a Spa?

I have an inground pool (240V sub panel installed at equipment pad) - I would like to add a 240V Spa and would rather not have to run back to primary house panel. Can the Spa electrical be added to the pool's sub panel??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-06, 10:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes it can if certain things are made clear.

What size feed is run to the panel?
What size breaker is it on?
I assume you mean 120/240v, or do you actually mean straight 240v?
What is the draw of the spa?
Does it require 120/240v?
Etc.......

Old 02-25-06, 10:43 AM
I will have a professional do the work - I am trying to assess whether I need to run a new run (and if I do, I likely will nix the whole project).... with that said, here is what I know:

* At the main panel, I see 2 breakers that are tied together with a plastic coupler - each is 50A labled "Pool Sub"
* At the pool sub, I have 3 pumps currently (2 pool, 1 waterfall) + lighting etc....
* Have not looked at SPA specifics, but what ever is standard is what I will need
* distance between current main and pool sub is about 100 feet (no idea what type of wire is used, but know that some of the existing pumps are 240V)

Old 02-25-06, 10:53 AM
Forget running a spa from this panel. Most every spa I have wired has required a 40-60 amp circuit.
You can wire certain spas for 120v/20 amp, but this is HIGHLY discouraged. The heater cannot keep up because it cannot run while the pump is running. Then the air from the bubblers cools the water off fast.

Old 02-25-06, 11:02 AM
Thanks - One final question.... Is it easy for them to run a new run in the same conduit they put in underground between the main and pool sub (it looked like grey PVC) so they don't need to tear up my yard??

Thanks again!!!

Old 02-25-06, 11:22 AM
Probably the best thing to do in this case is upgrade the feeder to the pool panel to 90 or 100 amps.
Then they can run the circuit to the spa from that panel.

This all hinges on what size the conduit is.

You could not run a separate circuit through this conduit and pass it through the panel.