do u need an inspector for 220wiring

Old 02-26-06, 01:50 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question do u need an inspector for 220wiring

i was looking at some of your post an ill like for some one to answer me do you need a
inspection by a proffesional if youre wiring a 220volt plug in for a 50 amp arc welder
sorry for the lack of detail in my post but if the arc welder needs 220v is it ok to put a
240v for it, or in some of the post it said that what kinda wire well iwas thinking of going with 6 gauge wire just to be in the safe side but not my money.an the welder is going to be detached in my garage,but i live in salem oregon.in the outs of town i really dont know if i need an inspection because my friend did his just with out any inspection,but i just wanted to be in the safe side. ill check my local electrician ill take any tips you guys
have.thnx

Last edited by holy mole; 02-26-06 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 02:50 AM
Yes. Are you thinking that a 50A 240V circuit inherently less dangerous than a 15A 120V circuit?

So did you buy the cable yet?

Old 02-26-06, 05:58 AM
Like Bolide says you probably do. Check local code and be safe.

Old 02-26-06, 07:16 AM
In most jurisdictions, ANY electrical work beyond simple repairs like changing a switch require a permit and hence an inspection. Most, but not all, areas allow a homeowner to pull the permit and do the work, then call for the inspection.

As already mentioned, you may need some professional help about sizing your wire and what type of receptacle is required. You have not told us anything about your main panel, or where the welder would be located ( garage....attached? detached? ) so there will be many more questions for the electrical pros here to answer when you add more details to your post.

Old 02-26-06, 09:42 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Around here the answer is yes, and it wouldn't be very expensive. The owner/occupier can get the permit himself.

Old 02-26-06, 12:25 PM
In the jurisdiction that I live, in the NYC suburbs, you need a permit, and you can't do it yourself unless you pass a homeowners electrical exam.