do u need an inspector for 220wiring


Old 02-26-06, 01:50 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question do u need an inspector for 220wiring

i was looking at some of your post an ill like for some one to answer me do you need a
inspection by a proffesional if youre wiring a 220volt plug in for a 50 amp arc welder
sorry for the lack of detail in my post but if the arc welder needs 220v is it ok to put a
240v for it, or in some of the post it said that what kinda wire well iwas thinking of going with 6 gauge wire just to be in the safe side but not my the welder is going to be detached in my garage,but i live in salem the outs of town i really dont know if i need an inspection because my friend did his just with out any inspection,but i just wanted to be in the safe side. ill check my local electrician ill take any tips you guys

Last edited by holy mole; 02-26-06 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 02:50 AM
bolide's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,909
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes. Are you thinking that a 50A 240V circuit inherently less dangerous than a 15A 120V circuit?

So did you buy the cable yet?
Old 02-26-06, 05:58 AM
mattison's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinti, OH
Posts: 5,548
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Like Bolide says you probably do. Check local code and be safe.
Old 02-26-06, 07:16 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 2,039
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In most jurisdictions, ANY electrical work beyond simple repairs like changing a switch require a permit and hence an inspection. Most, but not all, areas allow a homeowner to pull the permit and do the work, then call for the inspection.

As already mentioned, you may need some professional help about sizing your wire and what type of receptacle is required. You have not told us anything about your main panel, or where the welder would be located ( garage....attached? detached? ) so there will be many more questions for the electrical pros here to answer when you add more details to your post.
Old 02-26-06, 09:42 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 994
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Around here the answer is yes, and it wouldn't be very expensive. The owner/occupier can get the permit himself.
Old 02-26-06, 12:25 PM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the jurisdiction that I live, in the NYC suburbs, you need a permit, and you can't do it yourself unless you pass a homeowners electrical exam.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: