Metal shields to protect romex thru studs

Old 02-26-06, 08:00 PM
Metal shields to protect romex thru studs

I was looking at a friends home that is being built in California. The interior studs are all exposed showing the newly installed wiring for the home. I was puzzled by the metal shields nailed on the studs where the romex wiring runs through a hole in the stud. I figured they were there so that a nail or screw cannot penetrate the romex. But some areas where the romex goes through the studs are not covered. Can someone tell me why some are covered and some are not?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 08:25 PM
The NEC (National Electrical Code) says that if wire is run through a hole drilled in a framing member the hole edge must be at least 1 1/4 inches from the edge of the board to protect the wire from nail and screw penetration. If this distance can't be maintained a nail plate must be used. This is the likely reason you saw them. An off center hole or one larger than 1 inch, in a 2 X 4, will need a nail plate. (Of course the assumption is made that with 1/2 inch drywall 1 1/4 inch screws are used and hopefully you have half an inch of wood between the end of the screw and the edge of the hole. All bets are off if somebody uses longer screws or nails)

Some of us try to route wire where it's unlikely to ever see a nail or screw, at least after the drywall is up, and put up nail plates whether they are required or not if the wire gets into a likely "target zone" in a wall.

Old 02-27-06, 03:55 AM
In Florida, all wires and plumbing that went through a stud had to be prtected with the metal plates. I would use them even if code did not require them.

Old 02-27-06, 05:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by majakdragon
I would use them even if code did not require them.
Do you realize how many studs are drilled with wires passing through??? If they are closer than 1.25" to the finished edge it is code and common sense to use them, but every stud?!?
In this case code is enough for me. If someone wants to drive a 3" drywall screw in the wall to hang a picture that's thier problem.

Of course I try to stay out of bad areas, such as 5'-7' off the floor and 30"-36" in baths and kitchens, as Unk says, but we cannot idiot proof the whole house.

Old 02-27-06, 05:26 AM
Speedy Petey,
I agree with you. I was referring to Florida code. EVERY stud that had a wire or pipe going through it was required to have a metal plate on it. There was no "certain" distance into the stud that changed this. Metal plate on BOTH sides of any stud that had wire or pipe. Was a pain to install them but that was one of the first things that inspectors checked. Sometimes the little "ears" used for holding them onto the stud did not hold and we would get called back for some that fell off.

Old 02-27-06, 06:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All I can say is: WOW!