elec question

Old 02-27-06, 05:13 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
elec question

I just found in my bedroom that the switch on the wall runs a light out of an electrical outlet. I have already ran the wiring to put a new box in the ceiling. Whats the most convenient way too make the electrical box operate and switch the power and activate the switch so I can add my ceiling fan? Thanks, Nascarbiff16

Old 02-27-06, 07:09 AM
Where have you run the wire for the new ceiling fixture? The issue here is the neutral wire. The existing switch box may only contain loop wires, and no neutral wire.

It is easy to fix the duplex receptacle. You will have to replace it, since it now has the bridge broken off to function with one plug switched.

Old 02-27-06, 07:20 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As 594 says, we need more detail. Specifically:
  1. You ran your new cable from where to where?
  2. Exactly what kind of cable did you run?
  3. Did the switch operate both halves of the receptacle, or only one half?
  4. Is the switch a regular single-pole switch (lever says "on" and "off" on it), or is it a 3-way switch (lever is blank)?
  5. Is there a white wire connected to the switch (or was there before you messed with it)? For extra credit, tell us all the wires and connections in the switch box (before you changed anything).
  6. Have you already attempted something that failed? If so, what did you try and how did it fail?
  7. Would you like the switch to continue to operate the receptacle as well as the new fan/light? Or would you like the receptacle to now be independent of the switch?

Old 02-27-06, 08:00 AM
M
Originally Posted by 594tough
It is easy to fix the duplex receptacle. You will have to replace it, since it now has the bridge broken off to function with one plug switched.
I have never needed to replace the receptacle yet. As long as it is in good condition, I just hit both screws with wires from the same hot wirenut.

Old 02-27-06, 08:10 AM
R
Originally Posted by MAC702
I have never needed to replace the receptacle yet. As long as it is in good condition, I just hit both screws with wires from the same hot wirenut.
Yes, this works.

However, a wire nut and pigtails adds a level of complexity that is daunting to some do-it-yourselfers. By the time a typical do-it-yourselfer makes two pigtails (in this case) runs the pigtails to the screw terminals and then fits this all into the box, it is usually more time than it would have been to replace the receptacle.

Old 02-27-06, 08:37 AM
M
You're right, as usual, Racraft; I didn't look at it from that point of view. But I still wouldn't tell someone that he HAS to replace the receptacle without the caveat.

Old 02-27-06, 09:00 AM
N
more info

Originally Posted by nascarbiff16
I just found in my bedroom that the switch on the wall runs a light out of an electrical outlet. I have already ran the wiring to put a new box in the ceiling. Whats the most convenient way too make the electrical box operate and switch the power and activate the switch so I can add my ceiling fan? Thanks, Nascarbiff16
I haven't moved anything yet! You have a white and a black wire going into the switch, they way it looks to me is that just completes the circuit. If you take a reading at the switch it is only 78 volts. That kinda threw me off at first.

I want too activate both out lets with the same wiring, the run off the out let too the switch ( should give me 120volts). Then I will connect the wiring to the ceiling fan box.

Any better suggestions.

Old 02-27-06, 09:04 AM
N
haven't changed anything

I want too make the receptical run independently and the switch too run the ceiling fan. The switch has white and a black wire only.

Old 02-27-06, 09:26 AM
R
This is called a switch loop. The switch does complete the circuit, but only the hot leg of the circuit. Your voltage measurement (as you figured out) is meaningless. When you read it you had one open wire and one hot wire. If you had turned the switch on and made the measurement, you would have read 0 volts. Take your reading between the black wire and the ground wire and between the white wire and the ground. Take four readings, with the switch ON and with the switch OFF.

You need to change the wiring at the receptacle. You still haven't told us if half the receptacle is switched or if the entire receptacle is switched. There may also be other wires present, although I doubt it).

At the receptacle, you will want to connect all the black wires to the brass screws on the receptacle, and all the white wires to the silver screws on the receptacle.

You will need a wire nut and pigtails if there are more than two black wires or more than two white wires. If the receptacle is only half switched then you will have to replace it, or run two pigtails, one to each brass screw.

The ground wires get connected together and also to the metal box and also to the receptacle.

I suggest that you use 14-3 (or 12-3 if a 20 amp circuit) for the run from the switch to the ceiling. Do you know how to make the switch connections?

Old 02-27-06, 09:37 AM
N
only half the receptical is ran off the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: