Transfer Switch Question

Old 02-27-06, 11:05 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transfer Switch Question

I have a 100 amp service with 12 circuits (6 on each leg) Two circuits are tied together for the A/C service.

I want to install a 12 circuit transfer switch so I can intermitently run any of the circuits. Right now, I only have a 3500 watt generator but plan on getting a larger one within the next year or two.

Most of the transfer switches that are rated for 3500 watts only have four circuits. I understand that I can't run all of the circuits with the 3500 watt generator.
My Question: Is it legal to install and operate a transfer switch with a generator that produces less power than the rating of the transfer switch?

Thanks,
Phil

Old 02-27-06, 11:29 AM
R
Yes, however you will probably have to change the input connector on the transfer switch.

Old 02-27-06, 02:38 PM
P
Originally Posted by racraft
Yes, however you will probably have to change the input connector on the transfer switch.
racraft,
Actually, I'm thinking of hardwiring the transfer switch to a power inlet box in my garage. Then I'll run a cord from the generator to that inlet box.

The generator I have now is a 3500 watt Generac and requires a four-prong "NEMA L14-20P" type plug. Do the larger generators have a different receptacle?
Thanks,
Phil

Old 02-27-06, 03:12 PM
R
A generator that supplies more than 20 amps at 240 volts will have a different connection on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: