Dimmer switch is hot- is it normal?

Old 02-27-06, 04:25 PM
jim7485
Visiting Guest
Dimmer switch is hot- is it normal?

I've never had a dimmer switch until just last week. The metal switchplate feels warm, but if I remove the switchplate, the metal switch housing is so hot I can barely touch it for more than a second or so. Is this normal? Thanks
jim

Old 02-27-06, 05:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switches generate heat. Warm is normal. Hot is not.

Are you well within the maximum power range for the dimmer? How many watts is the dimmer rated for, and how many watts are you trying to dim? What type bulbs are you trying to dim?

Old 02-28-06, 12:12 PM
jim7485
Visiting Guest
Thanks- it is....

on a 3 way - Dimmer switch is rated for 600w max but says something on the face about 400w max if one side is removed. Not understanding that part. I have it running a chandelier with 12 bulbs. I think they are 40 watts each = 480 total. It's pretty high up, but I suppose it's possible that they are 60 watts each which would put me over the limit. I'll check - thanks for the quick reply. Best solution seems to be a higher rated switch, don't you think?

Thanks
jim

Old 02-28-06, 07:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim7485
on a 3 way - Dimmer switch is rated for 600w max but says something on the face about 400w max if one side is removed. Not understanding that part. I have it running a chandelier with 12 bulbs. I think they are 40 watts each = 480 total. It's pretty high up, but I suppose it's possible that they are 60 watts each which would put me over the limit. I'll check - thanks for the quick reply. Best solution seems to be a higher rated switch, don't you think?

Thanks
jim
even if you removed both sides of tabs on that switch you are still NOT overloading it.

I just want to clarify - warm is normal - hot is normal also PROVIDED the dimmer is not overloaded which you are not.

The dimmer is UL listed to get up to 150 degrees over the temp of the room it is installed into.

The threashold pain for you finger is going to be about 140-150. The dimmer can easily exceed this.

This is normal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: