In line fan hookup?

Old 02-26-06, 02:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In line fan hookup?

I have tried to hook up a small fan in my ductwork to no avail. I have a vent above my woodstove which runs into 8' of 5" ductline into another vent to the upper floor. I installed a new 15 amp breaker then ran 14/3 wire to a switch then ran wire to the fan. The problem I am having is with the switch, when the switch is in the off position the fan runs as soon as I turn the switch to the on position the breaker trips! The fan assembly is meant for duct work it has a black a white and a green wire, my wire I bought is 14/3, my breaker is a 15 amp Stab Loc (same as the rest). I thought this was a simple install, wiring white to white, black to black green to ground. What am I doing wrong. Hoping you can help. IHD

Old 02-26-06, 02:53 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IHATEDRYWALL
when the switch is in the off position the fan runs

as soon as I turn the switch to the on position the breaker trips!
So the switch does not switch the fan on and off? And it trips the breaker when you turn it on? Sounds like a ground fault or a hot-to-neutral short circuit.

Did you make sure you wirenutted the white wire thru the switchbox or is it connected to the switch? Only black wires should be connected to the switch, plus ground if it has a ground screw.

OK Edit I just realized you're using 14/3 ... what are you doing with the red wire?

Old 02-26-06, 02:55 PM
Greetings, your switch should be connected with only the black wires. Isn't it a single pole switch. the whites should be spliced together with wire nut. did you connect a black and a white to your switch? That is what it sounds like your mistake is.. also , I think you mean #14/2 wire with a ground. One black, one white and one ground. Hope it helps.

Old 02-26-06, 03:13 PM
You guys are sure prompt. You are both right I am using 14/2 wire not 14/3 wire, and yes I screwed up and hooked both black and white wires to the switch. I will retry as I finish this. Thank You! Oh by the way is there any way I can use a dimmer switch or something to slow the fan down when need be. Thanks again.

Old 02-26-06, 03:34 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
is there any way I can use a dimmer switch or something to slow the fan down when need be.
Fan control switches should be available at any big box near the ceiling or bath fans. I've got Lutron three-speed switches on my ceiling fans and infinitely adjustables on my bath fans. Note that these are not the same as dimmers.

Old 02-26-06, 06:11 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
my breaker is a 15 amp Stab Loc (same as the rest). IHD
Just something you might want to ponder...
You might want to google Federal Pacific, the manufacturers of the infamous stab-loc breaker. Many of these have caused fires due to not opening upon overload.

Yes you can control the fan speed, but don't use a regular dimmer switch; use a ceiling fan speed control.

Old 02-26-06, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
IHATEDRYWALL,

I believe you are in Canada where the Stab-Lok problem does not apply. It only affects most of the US Stab-Lok products.

Have you opened the duct to draw heat from he wood stove or have you installed the fan IN the 5" duct to force air to the top floor?
This is not part of your question but I should point something out.
If you make any alterations to draw heat into your furnace ductwork from the woodstove you could be affecting your homeowner's insurance.
There is a chance that if your fire got away on you it could quickly spread through the open duct with the help of the fan.
Also, there is a chance that if the fan were big enough the negative pressure in the bsmt could cause a backflow in the chimney.

Old 02-27-06, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your replys, I did have the switch hooked up wrong. The ductwork is independant from any for the furnace. I will try to install a fan switch this weekend. Thanks Again. IHD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: