installing baseboard

Old 03-01-06, 05:09 PM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
installing baseboard

I am installing a baseboard heater and have two questions:

Most thermostats seem to be at the 5' level. Is there a code?

Can I install it under a window if the bottom of the curtains is a at least 18" above the heater, or is curtains out of the question no matter how high over the heater?

Old 03-01-06, 06:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> Most thermostats seem to be at the 5' level. Is there a code?

Well, it's common sense. Most people are at least 5' tall. No one wants to bend over to set the thermostat.

You should put the thermostat where it is accessible to the occupants in charge of setting the thermostat.

> Can I install it under a window
No. For one thing, it will get a wrong reading that close to the heater and window and will cycle excessively.

Old 03-01-06, 06:12 PM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
sorry, I'm tired.....I am referring to the actual heater under the window. The manufacturer recommended that the heater go under a window for efficiency, however, I know it's not code to have curtains over it. I'm just wandering if there any more specifics as to how close the curtains can be to it. Otherwise I'll just avoid the window.

It makes sense to avoid the window when mounting the thermostat.

Old 03-01-06, 06:17 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When mounting a thermostat, you should avoid an exterior wall and any location directly above a heater.

Generally heaters are installed directly below windows. Keep the curtains above the heater. Remember, no receptacles can be above the heater.

Old 03-02-06, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When I converted to electric Baseboard heat I have to say I didnt always stay concurrent with installing them directly under windows. In some rooms they are installed directly under the window itself. However I have a few rooms where there are two windows and they are spaced apart. I then went for the center of the outside wall to keep with some centering in the room. Or at least when i put it under a window in one of those rooms I felt the room looked off balanced. So I went ahead and centered the heater. So the heater appears to be below and between the windows. What was more stressed to me by the HD guy was that it be placed on an outside wall anyway. As I said. In some of my rooms there is only one window (smaller rooms) and the window itself is centered therefore the heater is directly under it. No wires, or outlets should be directly or closely in contact of it though. be sure to take that into consideration. you should have at least 18 inches cleared of all objects.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: