please help with wiring ceiling fan

Old 03-01-06, 07:32 PM
please help with wiring ceiling fan

I want to install a ceiling fan w/light fixture on it and have some questions on how to wire it. Here is what I need it to do:

I want to have one wall switch (Switch A) mounted with two switches on it, one to control the light, the other switch to control the fan. Over on the other wall, I want a switch (Switch B)to control just the light. And obviously I want to be able to manually use the fixture chains to control both. I would like the fixture to connect to Switch A that controls the fan and light separately. I prefer that Switch B would get its wire fed from the Switch A light switch as having to run any wire directly between the fixture and switch B would be problematic for me.

The power will be coming directly into the fan. The electrical connections on the fan consist of a blue, black, white and green wires. The instructions say to connect the white wire from the fan to the white wire of the light kit, connect the blue wire from the fan to the black wire of the light kit. However, I'm assuming that has to be modified to work the way I want. Can someone please tell me what needs to connect to what, and where I need three wire, if anywhere? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 08:20 PM
You need three-wire from the fixture to switchbox A so that you have a red wire to connect to the blue wire at the ceiling fan.

From switchbox A, a three-wire cable runs to the fixture and a three-wire cable runs to switchbox B.

Last edited by bolide; 03-01-06 at 09:42 PM. Reason: misunderstood the layout
Old 03-01-06, 08:29 PM
ok, then. Can someone explain the complete wiring layout?

Old 03-01-06, 08:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will have to purchase an over-under switch where one of the switches is a 3 way switch and the other is a single pole switch for switch box "A", as well as a regular 3-way switch for switch box "B". For instance, Home Depot sku 614662 which sells for $11.46. From your switch box you will have to run a 12-3 wg and a 12-2 w-g to the fan/light. Hook the black wire of the 12-3 to the black screw on the 3 way side of the switch, and the red and white to the other two screws on the 3 way side. Tape the white wire on the 12-2 with black (or any other color than green) tape and hook the black and white to each of the screws on the single pole side of the switch. Break the tab off from between the common screws, because you want to separate the switching, and since your power is coming in from the fan/light. At the fan, locate the 12-2 and tape the end of the white wire to identify it as a "black" wire. Hook the white wire to the "hot" wire in the fan box, and the black wire to the black wire in the fan box. On switch "b", run 12-3 to the fan/light box, hooking the black wire to the black screw and the white and red to the other two screws on the 3-way switch. In the fan box hook the 12-3 white to each other, and the 12-3 red to each other. Hook the black wire to the blue wire in the fan box.
Use B-caps to "hook" the wires together, and make sure all your grounding wires (bare) are connected to each other in the boxes and placed under the green screw on the switches and, if the fan box is metal, to the green screw in the box, and to the grounding wire coming from the fan.
Hope this covers it. Plst back if we can help further.

Old 03-02-06, 05:33 AM
Larry's instructions violate your desire to NOT have anything between the fan and switch B, so I'll offer another plan.

If this is a 20 amp circuit, replace all the references below for 14 gage wire to be 12 gage wire.

Run 14-3 from the fan/light to switch box A. Run 14-3 from switch box A to switch Box B. At switch box A install a 2 way switch and a 3 way switch, or use a combination device that has both. At switch Box B install a 3 way switch.

At the fan/light connect the power white wire with the white wires for the fan and light. Connect the power black wire to the 14-3 white wire. Connect the 14-3 red wire to the blue fan wire. Connect the 14-3 black wire to the light black wire.

At switch A connect the white wire from the fan/light to one side of the 2 way switch and to the common terminal of the 3 way switch. Connect the red fan wire to the other side of the 2 way switch. Connect the black light wire to the black wire that goes to switch B. Connect the red and white wires that go to switch B to the traveler terminals on the 3 way switch.

At switch B connect the black wire to the common terminal of the 3 way switch. Connect the red and white wires to the traveler terminals of the 3 way switch.

At all locations connect the ground wires together, to the metal boxes, and to the switches.

Old 03-02-06, 05:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As confusing as it is to put it in words, I think my instructions for the wiring from switch "B" only concerned the light, as a 3-way control. I only controlled the fan from switch "A".

Old 03-02-06, 06:11 AM
Larry, he doesn't want a wire directly between the light and switch B.

Old 03-02-06, 08:29 AM
Thank you guys for the replies and great breakdowns of what needs to happen. Like anything else,it looks like there are multiple ways to do this. I can run a wire from switch B to the light fixture if I have to, but if I can get around it I will try that first.

So Racraft, I have a question for you, just to clarify. Your layout will allow me to control the light from the single switch at SwitchB, while the two switches at SwitchA, one will work the light, the other will work the fan? Correct?

Old 03-02-06, 09:04 AM
Yes, that is how you wanted it.

Old 03-02-06, 09:11 AM
ok, I will tackle that and let you know how it turned out. Thanks to all for the help

Old 03-02-06, 08:45 PM
Question for you, Racraft, before I start this project. You say in your instructions to:

"At the fan/light connect the power white wire with the white wires for the fan and light. Connect the power black wire to the 14-3 white wire. Connect the 14-3 red wire to the blue fan wire. Connect the 14-3 black wire to the light black wire"

In the light kit install directions, it says to connect the blue fan wire to the black wire of the light kit. Can you explain why you say I need to connect the 14-3 red wire to the blue fan wire? I'm sure your instructions are correct, as the fan kit manual isn't taking into account what I want to do, but just for my own understanding I would like to know what part of my requirements this alteration is making? I do appreciate your help, I'm trying to learn what I can from places like this forum, its a great resource. Thanks again

Old 03-02-06, 09:48 PM
Fixture manufacturer's instructions are always wrong when a switch loop is involved.

Old 03-03-06, 05:37 AM
The manufacturer is assuming you want to run the fan and light at the same time, and that you only have one power wire to feed them.

Old 03-03-06, 06:34 PM
ok, I'm making progress and am getting there, however, I want to verify something before I do much more.

At Switch A (which has two switches, one for the fan, the other a three way switch going to a separate SwitchB to operate the light) I the ground coming in from the 3 wire from the fan, and I have the ground wire coming in from the 3 wire at Switch B. Dumb question probably, but can I twist these grounds together and put a wire nut on them or are they to remain separate?

Old 03-03-06, 10:15 PM
All grounding wires in a box must be connected together.

Old 03-04-06, 01:02 PM
Update. I'm making pretty good progress. The ceiling fan is operational, I just criss-crossed something somewhere. Here is where it stands:

Switch A has two switches. A three-way that connects to a single 3-way switch at Switch B. Both of these switches are to control the light on the ceiling fan. The second 2-way switch at Switch A is to control the fan only. Right now, Switch B controls the fan, as does the 3-way switch at Switch A. The 2-way switch at Switch A controls the light. I need to reverse this so that the two-way switch is the only one to control the fan.

Right now, the white wire coming from the Ceiling fan is pigtailed to the common terminal of the 3-way switch and also to the 2-ways switch at SwitchA. The red from the ceiling fan goes to the other terminal on the 2-way switch.
The red from SwitchB goes to the 3-way at SwitchA. As does the white wire.

can somebody help me get this going the right way? Thanks

Old 03-04-06, 08:56 PM
ok, I"ve gotten a little further by messing around. I don't know if I didn't follow Racrafts directions or if maybe he inadvertently inverted the colors but here is the current status.

The 2-way at switchA gets its power from the Ceiling fan through the white wire on the 14-3 that runs between the ceiling fan and SwitchA. The black that runs between them goes to the other terminal on the 2-way switch. This operates the fan, not the light as described in Racraft's directions (but I may have reversed something back on the fan side of things). Out of curioisity, I unhooked the black wire and replaced it with the red wire coming from the Ceiling Fan, and sure enough, it worked the lights. But I want the 2-way to work only the fan so I put the black wire back on it.

So now I have a red wire from the Ceiling fan feed and I don't know where it goes. On the 3-way switch at SwitchA (which connects to another 3-way at SwitchB) , I have a pigtail to the white wire on the 14-3 feed from the ceiling fan. That leaves me with two free terminals on the 3-way, but I have three wires that need to be connected.
These are the three wires from the second 3-way switch at switchB, which is suppsed to operate the lights. what am I missing here?

Old 03-04-06, 09:59 PM
Simple fix....connect the black in the 3 wire cable going to Switch B to the red in the 3 wire cable going to the fan box. Connect the remaining two wires of the 3 wire cable going to switch B to the combination 3-way switch traveler terminals. Leave everything else the way you have it wired in your last post.

Old 03-05-06, 10:52 AM
That did it! Project complete. Everything works as desired. Thanks to you all for your patience with a novice. This board is a great resource!