Doorbell....Confusion

Old 03-04-06, 09:23 AM
Unhappy Doorbell....Confusion

Ok doorbell experts..I am having a single ding issue ...Just moved into a new house, and doorbell chime would only ding once when pushing front doorbell button. So I figured doorbell piston/hammer thingy was stuck or broke.(<-wrong) I went and bought a new chime and button(just to be safe) Came home installed new chime and button, hooked everything up, pushed button, Single ding, switched red wire between front and back, still single ding. So I'm getting power, button is working, chime is working(kinda), transformer seems to be working, what is not working?

tia thehaggis

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-06, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the chime has two chime tone bars (and most do) , When you push the button, the plunger moves to strike the first tone. when you release the button, a spring forces the plunger to move in the opposite direction and strike the second tone bar.
With someone pushing the button, observe the plunger action. If it seems weak, and the plunger is moving freely, then you may need a new transformer. Check the material that came with your new chime. It should recommend a proper size.

Old 03-04-06, 04:16 PM
I'm no expert for sure, but if your new chime is one that plays several notes look and see if a diode came with the chime. If so it will have to be installed on the front door button. It would explain in your instructions.
One of the regular experts on here will probably tell you more about this subject soon.

Old 03-05-06, 12:05 AM
Group Moderator
Many door chimes have two connections. One for the back door and one for the front door. The back door connection is a single "ding" and the front door two "dings". The chimes are usually marked front and back. Also check that the unswitched wire (straight from the transformer) is hooked to common.

Old 03-05-06, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your lucky . I have a ding and a dong living here!