outlet operated by a switch

Old 03-04-06, 01:34 PM
Question outlet operated by a switch

I switched out my outlets in our kids playroom and one of the outlets you can plug in a lamp and operate it by a switch. It was working before I switched the outlets but now it doesn't turn on the lamp. The outlet itself works but the switch doesn't operate it.

I put the white wires on their side and the black and red on the hot side. One black wire is in the hole and the other is wrapped around the screw. The red wire is in hole. The guy at Lowe's told me to tear off this tab that would let the top and bottom work together but that still didn't work.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a special outlet I need to buy? Should I try wrapping the red wire around the screw instead of putting it in the hole?

Thanks for your help!!

Mary Ellen

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-06, 02:56 PM
The receptacle was only half switched I bet. Remove the receptacle and break the tab off between the gold screws. Look at your old receptacle to compare. Leave the tab on the silver side. If the red wire is attached to any other receptacles you will need the tab off all of them to get the switch to work.

Old 03-04-06, 04:04 PM
That's what I had - double checked it. I looked at the old receptacle and it has the same thing (tab on hot side broken off). There is only one red wire and it's in the top hot side. The black wires are on the bottom of the same hot side. Anything else I can try? The outlet itself works so I know it's not a faulty receptacle.

Old 03-04-06, 05:04 PM
Then the switch is defective.

Old 03-04-06, 05:31 PM
Even when it worked before I changed the outlet? I'll check the switch, but it's also new - I changed that out about a month ago.

Old 03-05-06, 08:46 AM
If the old receptacle worked before you swapped it and the switch was not changed and the new receptacle does not work, then you have not connected the new one the same as the old one. Your problem sounds exactly like you didn't remove the tab. If the switch controlled more than one receptacle then ALL of them must have the tab removed or they will all be not switched.

Old 03-05-06, 10:22 AM
Also,

Do NOT use the bacK stabs. Use ONLY the screw terminals.