Help!! Wire confusion!!

Old 03-05-06, 12:24 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Help!! Wire confusion!!

Hi all, first time post here.

I'm replacing a ceiling fan with a light fixture in my kitchen. There are 2 wall switches that controled the fan and a dimmer switch for the light fixture that was on the fan.

I've removed the fan. There are 3 wires, black, red and white in the box and only 2 power wires on the fixture I want to install. What do I install where. Sorry, I've totally drawn a blank here. When the fan was installed, the black was to black, white to white and the red wire was installed to a seperate power wire that went to the light fixture on the fan. Do I not install the red wire at all, which would render one of the wall switches useless (I'm assuming) or do I put red and white together or do I just put the fan back!! :-)

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Old 03-05-06, 12:43 PM
R
Do you want the light to be on the dimmer switch, or do you want the light to be on the two three way switches? Connect the light to the white wire and to either the black wire or red wire, depending upon how you answer the first question. Cap the unused wire at the ceiling box.

Old 03-05-06, 01:16 PM
P
No we didn't want it on the dimmer. Great, that was the other thought I had but wasn't sure if that made sense, just capping off the other wire. I know that leaves a "dead" switch but I'd rather hve that then trying to rewire the switches, changing the box and trying to patch up the hole.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it

Old 03-05-06, 01:18 PM
R
Take the switch out and buy a cover that only has one switch opening.

Old 03-05-06, 01:19 PM
P
They sell those, I don't think I've ever seen them. Thanks, I'll look for that.

Old 03-05-06, 01:24 PM
R
You probably have to go to an electrical supply store. I don't think you would find it at any big box store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: