Wiring in basement walls

Old 03-05-06, 02:46 PM
bemace
Visiting Guest
Wiring in basement walls

The builders framed, insulated, and installed vapor barrier around the outside walls in our basement. I'm not sure about the best way to add outlets in these walls.

I pulled the staples so I could peel back the vapor barrier. I was thinking I'd notch the studs and run the wiring in front of the insulation, but that seems like it might be akward to get the wiring into the backs of the boxes. Should I remove the insulation while I'm working, trim it around the boxes, or what?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-06, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It would probably be best to pull the insulation from the bottom enough to drill horizontal holes in your studs and properly run the cable from outlet to outlet and to the breaker box. Then you can cut the insulation around your boxes and reinstall it, retaping the vapor barrier with tape used for that purpose.

Old 03-05-06, 08:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As opposed to going low. Do you have access to the ceiling ? You could go across the top and drop down to the boxes as needed. limmiting the disturbance of the insulation.

Old 03-06-06, 09:40 AM
bemace
Visiting Guest
The basement I'm wiring is actually halfway below grade, so it's a half-height wall in front of blocks, and then the regular wall above. Getting from the regular wall into the halfwall looks tricky.

I guess I'll run the mains along the bottom of the half-wall, and voice/data along the top of it.