bathfan

Old 03-05-06, 03:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathfan

Hello electrical masters
When I turn off my bathroom fan , the portable 1800W heater in my room connected to the bathroom shuts off sometimes [trips the gfci button to off] .This has a GFCI on the plug not the outlet . Are these on the same circut . Any idea what can cause this? Do i have an overloaded circut? And why would that outlet be on the same circut as the bathroom fan switch. Also I notice the bedroom light flickers sometimes.This all just started doing these things after i put a portable heater in this room.
Thanks all

Last edited by restez; 03-05-06 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 06:00 PM
R
What do you mean it cuts the heater off? Do you mean that the receptacle the heater is plugged into loses power, and that when you turn the fan back off the power returns? Do you mean that the circuit breaker trips? Do you mean that the GFCI receptacle trips? Or do you mean something else?

Old 03-05-06, 08:16 PM
R
I mean when the bath fan is switched on or off it trips the
space heater gfci plug that goes into the outlet.

Old 03-06-06, 05:24 AM
R
I suiggest that you either replace the GFCI receptacle, or rwires so that the bedroom receptacle is not protected by the GFCI, or both.

Old 03-06-06, 08:29 AM
J
Bob, I don't think he's talking about a GFCI receptacle.

Sometimes fan motors create conditions that fool the GFCI circuitry, especially older GFCI circuitry. If the receptacle is already GFCI protected (and it shoud be), then you don't need the GFCI on the heater. You could just buy a space heater without an integrated GFCI.

Or you could just stop using the fan and the space heater at the same time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: