Sub panel to pool pump.

Old 03-06-06, 06:34 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sub panel to pool pump.

Hello all.
I have 200 amp service with a 50amp sub panel in the garage. My current set up which was in place when I purchased the house is this:
There is a 20a service running about 80 feet from the main panel to the shed which houses the pool equipment. The pump is a new 1 hp. It can be ran 110/220. The pool was put in about 25 years ago and 220 was never installed. Since I have added the sub panel in the garage, I would like to run a 220v circuit from the sub panel to the pool shed because it is only 40ft to the shed. I have never had a problem with the current circuit in 9 years.
What are the actual benefits of the 220v vs 110 in terms of consumption and efficiency?

I know I need a 20a dp breaker.

My question is can I use underground wiring or EMT?

Thanks all!

Last edited by Fadec40; 03-06-06 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 06:55 AM
R
If it ain't broke don't fix it. That's my recommendation, unless you have some other reason to want to change the wiring.

The difference between 120 and 240 is in the current and voltage. At 240 volts the voltage is doubled and the current is halved. However, the cost is the same. There is a difference in the voltage drop, but it doesn't mean much

If you really want to switch to 240 volts, use the current wiring and make the switch at the main panel.

Old 03-06-06, 07:28 AM
F
Thanks for the reply. Had thought there was a worthwhile and considerable advantage.

i was wondering why the existing wire used is 3 with ground. There is a duplex breaker but not a two pole.

So basically using the 3 wires, i can install a two pole. and of course change and rewire the receptacle at the pump.

Old 03-06-06, 07:32 AM
R
I think you should figure out what you have. Something doesn't add up. Are both hot wires connected on each end? If so you have a problem, if you have a tandem breaker.

Old 03-06-06, 07:38 AM
F
What was already there was a duplex,,,i think u said tandem.
How I found out what was going on was that I rebuilt the shed and put a new weatherproof receptacle. I bought a new pump and filter.

There were three wires going out the receptacle. i couldnt figure it out, i thought it was 220v..I went to the box and there was a duplex or tandem breaker,,,but it wasnt a 2 pole. All they had was basically two 20a 110 circuits out the shed... I suppose over the years,,,someone fiddled with the setup

Old 03-06-06, 07:46 AM
R
If you have two hot wires and one neutral wire out to the shed and you have a tandem breaker (ie both hote wires from the same leg of the incoming power), then you have a serious problem that you need to correct.

What do you mean by a "duplex" breaker?

Old 03-06-06, 07:48 AM
F
The type that saves space. Instead of a full size single 20a, there are two slim 20a in its place..I believe they are tandem like u said

I have since corrected. I just use the 2 wire plus ground layout. The remaining wires are not use. There is now only a single 20a circuit to the shed

Old 03-06-06, 07:51 AM
R
What are the wires in the pool shed connected to? Is this panel a traditional panel, or is it perhaps (hopefully) a GE panel where the tandem breaker can be shifted by half a position?

Let me reiterate my earlier comment. If the red wire and the black wires are connected to the same leg of the incoming 240 volts, and if they are both connected to loads in the pool shed then you have a serious problem that you need to correct immediately.

Old 03-06-06, 07:52 AM
F
I was replying while u were...

Yes everything is corrected.. I am only using a standard 20a circuit..Using the hot neutral and ground..thats it....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: