3 way switch wireing

Old 03-06-06, 09:53 AM
3 way switch wireing

I am attempting to install a 3 way switch ( 2 total) The power and all the lights converged at the old switch. I installed a 3 way wire from the new switch down to the old switch which I replaced with a 3 way. Now The only way to turn on the lights is by turning on the new switch, then the old (new switch) will work. What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-06, 10:07 AM
Well, the simple answer is that you mis-wired it. There are many ways you could have mis-wired it, and it's not really important which way you did it.

First and foremost. How many cables are you talking about? You need to be concerned about box fill requirements, which may make your wiring a code violation Tell us what size box is involved, and exactly what size wire and how many wires you are talking about.

As for the wiring, you need to wire as follows.

At the old switch location:

Connect the power white wire to the light white wire with a wire nut.
Connect the black power wire to the common terminal of the three way switch.
Connect the red and white wires of the new cable to the traveler terminals of the three way switch.
Connect the black wire of the new cable to the black wire for the lights with a wire nut.

At the new switch:
Connect the black wire to the common terminal of the three way switch.
Connect the red and white wires to the traveler terminals of the three way switch.

At both locations:

Connect all ground wires together, to the switch, and to the metal box.