Lighting for above indoor pool

Old 03-07-06, 12:05 PM
Renthorin
Visiting Guest
Lighting for above indoor pool

I am putting in a 12x19 wave pool and will be hanging lights from above. Does anyone know where I might find regulations about what type of light, shielding, wattage, unbreakable...etc?

I live in Michigan if that makes a difference to the coding.

Old 03-07-06, 12:17 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The NEC is your guide. Sometimes other groups or organizations may put out pamphlets that specify rules for special situations, such as pools. However, make sure any of these other materials are not out of date.

Better yet, run the plan by the electrical inspector. Since they will be inspecting the work when it is complete, you want it right anyway. And if your thinking of not having the work inspected, think again. Electricity and water are not a good combination. If you do something wrong and it causes someone to be killed, you will be charged with manslaughter. Have your work inspected.

Last edited by racraft; 03-07-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 12:32 PM
Renthorin
Visiting Guest
No, I will be having this done by a licensed proffesional :-)

I have been told that as long as the lights are over 7.5 feet above the pool nothing special needs to be done.

Old 03-07-06, 12:42 PM
R
I don;t remember what the rules are, but I think it's higher than 7.5 feet.

Old 03-07-06, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As long as the fixtures are totally enclosed, and the WHOLE circuit is GFCI protected, they can be 7.5' or higher above the water. This is for indoor installations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: