Alum wireing

Old 03-08-06, 06:36 PM
Question Alum wireing

Hi everyone I am new to the forum just bought my first mobile home this year a 1977 us built fixer. I love it lived in one most of my life. I have been told however that i have aluminum wirring (worked for a couple years in the electrical industry never heard of this) I have been told it is not a good thing to have. My question it How do I get rid of it I am told that it is in the roof not in the walls. can I rewire the home in the outside walls? or under home itself?

I plan to renivate it compleately by gutting it room by room and add two additions one on either side for more bed rooms.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-06, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

MH wiring is mostly in the ceiling but obviously drops down in the walls where needed. From what little I know about alum wire I understand the biggest problems are at the connections. I wouldn't think there would be any problems with running the new wire below. You will need to open up the wall where the breaker box is in order to make room and route the new wires. It would be easier to install new wires in the walls from the inside.

Old 03-09-06, 02:05 PM
Red face Re level

Thank you for your advice. I have found out today that this MH has not been releveled in about 10 yrs. I have some sagging around the perimiter mostly on the hallway side. Do I meed to re level or just support the outside walls? if so how do I go about doing so. I would like to get this done before I attach the additions and redo the roof.

Thank you
Hack2e

Old 03-09-06, 02:19 PM
Aluminum wiring

For a more definitive answer on the aluminum wiring you may want to re-post the question over in the electrical section, but from what I know (25 years of doing rehabs, including some with aluminum wiring), the ONLY problem with aluminum is IF you use CONNECTORS, SWITCHES AND OUTLETS to are designed to be used with ALUMINUM.

Copper and aluminum expand and contract at different rates, this causes problems including heat build up. The way to remedy the problem is to get a connector kit (go to an electrical supply house, NOT home depot) which allows you to connect COPPER leads to the aluminum wiring. These are (semi) permanent connections. Once they're connected you can just use regular switches and outlets.

frank

Old 03-09-06, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Hack2e
I have some sagging around the perimiter mostly on the hallway side.

Sounds like the floor joists are rotten. Most MH use 2x6's which are supported by the frame rails. If the floor is level [or close] the floor should be level, if it is sagging at the perimiter that is usually an indication the floor is weak. It would be best to rip up this floor and replace all rotten 2x's and plywood. You can jack it up and support it from below but if any of the wood is rotten this would only be a temporary fix. It is not uncommon for the perimeter to surface water damage since there is no overhang and water often runs down the siding just looking for a way in

If a MH is set up properly it shouldn't need re leveling although sometimes ground can move enough to warrant releveling. The proper way to level a MH is with a water level but you can get fairly close just using a 4' level on the floor and the frame.