Furnace problems

Old 03-09-06, 06:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace problems

I have a 1993 Janitrol furnace that I've been having some problems with. In late Nov ('05) the furnace stoped working. A tech came out and determined that the circuit board had been fried. I replaced the circuit board (the Heating/AC company was going to charge too much) and it worked well for 4 months. However, just last night it went out again, I took the cover off the circuit board and it is fried again.

It sounds like there is a short in the line somewhere, but it seems odd that it would work for 4 months, the just quit like that. The circuit breaker (new 15 amp, Square D) was thrown, but I think that was due to the circuit board being fried.

I think that it could be an inherent flaw with this particular Janitrol, because the circuit board is mounted to the Blower and is subject to vibrating/shaking alot.

Anyone know anything about this? Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix it? I really don't feel like spending $160 quarterly to keep my furnace running, but I'm not real happy about replacing a furnace that should last another 8 years.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Sean

Old 03-09-06, 06:53 AM
Goodman (formerly Janitrol) has published literally hundreds of Technical Sercice Bulletins. They are not available on their website unless you have a log in and password. If you call them, they might provide any TSB's applicable to your model. Otherwise, ask your local Goodman distributor to provide them. If you post your exact model # here, I will look for you.

Old 03-09-06, 07:15 AM
S
Model #

The model # is GMP 125-4. It was manufactured 9/1/93.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate it.

Old 03-09-06, 12:36 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
594's answer is right on, but you might get more replies if you repost this on the gas/oil furnace forum.

Old 03-09-06, 08:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../Scan10001.jpg

The only service bulletin I found applicable to your model is SF-004. I scanned it into photobucket but don't know how well it will reproduce. I got into a PDF file, but being pretty clumsy with the computer, can't fugure out how to link that in!

If the above link is not readable, it concerns a jumper wire on the B1809913S ignition control kit. The jumper was installed incorrectly at the factory in some cases, and it caused the 3amp fuse on the control board to blow.

Most of these should have been fixed at the distributor, so this is a long shot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: