Subpanel Grounding

Old 03-09-06, 12:12 PM
Subpanel Grounding

I am finishing my basement and have added 4 circuits (2-20amp/2-15amp). My main box (200amp) is full and I am installing a subpanel (125amp). The subpanel is supplied by a 40amp CB from the main. When wiring up the subpanel I noticed there is only 1 neutral bus bar, and no dedicated ground bus bar. In the main I noticed that the ground and neutral wires are wired to the neutral bar (with no "ground" bus there either). I am assuming that I must go purchase and install a separate ground bus bar for my subpanel. From what I have read, the subpanel must have a separate neutral bus and ground bus -- is this correct? Also -- if I install the ground bus bar, how is it grounded (I assume through the metal panel and machine screw).
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-06, 12:14 PM
Yes, you must purchase a separate ground bar for your sub panel. The new ground bar will be grounded when you attach the ground wire from your main panel to it. It will ground the box via the attachment screws.

To make sure that your neutral bar (the one that came with the panel) is not electrically connected to the sub panel itself, remove and throw away the green grounding screw that it comes with.

Old 03-09-06, 12:17 PM
Thanks

That was a fast response -- Thank you!