I drilled a hole in an electrical wire!!

Old 03-11-06, 05:40 PM
torirose1
Visiting Guest
I drilled a hole in an electrical wire!!

When I drilled a screw into the wall, I accidently drilled a hole into the electrical wires that are connected to my outlets in my kitchen. The outlets no longer work. Will an electrician have to pull out the entire wiring to fix this and about how much do you think this might cost me to get fixed. What can I do? Thanks, so much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-06, 06:05 PM
cost will be based on how much time it takes. not much material wise. a splice should be made in an accessible location or from one outlet to another of the ones effected. is there attic space above or crawl space below? or the cut wire can be abandoned and a new wire snaked in its place.

Old 03-11-06, 06:12 PM
torirose1
Visiting Guest
thanks!!

Originally Posted by tach
cost will be based on how much time it takes. not much material wise. a splice should be made in an accessible location or from one outlet to another of the ones effected. is there attic space above or crawl space below? or the cut wire can be abandoned and a new wire snaked in its place.

The wire is actually out of the wall already and very easily accessible. thanks

Old 03-11-06, 07:27 PM
This is why you should never use a screw longer than 1.5" to mount anything. At least you didn't hit a water pipe. That would have been worse.

The trouble with this problem is that the wire is not long enough to be spliced now, and even if it was, the splice would have to be right in the middle of the stud (where it isn't allowed). There are quite a few different approaches to solve this problem. If you want it to be exactly as it was before, you'll need to replace the cable all the way back to the box on either side of the problem. Even if the cable is out of the wall where you hit it, it still would need to be accessible for quite a ways on either side.

Luckily, there are alternatives to putting it back exactly as it was before. You might even get an extra receptacle or two out of the deal.

When the electrician shows up, you can discuss options. The available options depend on many factors that we can't see from here, such as what kind of room this is in, what kind of circuit the wire is from, what's on the other side of the wall, whether there's an accessible attic above or basement or crawl space below, whether or not you'd object to one or more blank cover plates on the wall, what other remodeling might be planned for this area in the near future, etc. etc. etc. etc.