Installing Whirlpool Tub

Old 03-12-06, 07:24 AM
Installing Whirlpool Tub

I am installing a whirlpool tub that needa a 15 amp service. I have an open 20 amp breaker in my panel, is this okay? I also have a left over 20 amp GFCI can I use this or do I need a 15 amp one?

Lastly, I removed a 240 volt heater and wanted to reuse the wires so I don't have to run wires through the house . The black and white wires are each attached to a 20 amp shared breaker. How do I rewire these?

Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 07:43 AM
Why do you think this requires a 15 amp circuit? What specifically do the instructions say? Is this a cord and plug unit or does it need to be hard wired?

GFCI protection is needed, but it does not necessarily have to be at the breaker.

What size are the wires on the existing heater circuit you want to reuse? Does this existing circuit include a ground wire?

Old 03-12-06, 09:22 AM
The instructions say 120 vac 15 amp dedicated circuit. it is a corded unit so I was going to use a GFCI outlet. The existing wire is a 12/2 with a ground.
Let me be a little clearer on the existing wiring.
The black and white wires each go to a seperate 20 amp breaker which are also wired to an outside sodium vapor light. I have an open 20 amp breaker and was thinking I could remove the black wire from where it is and attach it to the open breaker, I am not sure what to do with the white wire. Does it go to the ground, where the bare wire attaches?

Old 03-12-06, 09:45 AM
in general, appliances that ask for a 15-amp circuit can use a 20-amp circuit instead.

My guess is that your "left over 20 amp GFCI" is really a 15-amp GFCI with 20-amp pass through. But you can use it on a 20-amp circuit in either case.

The black and white wires each go to a seperate 20 amp breaker.
That describes a 240-volt circuit. Is your sodium vapor light a 240-volt light? I don't see how you can change this circuit without affecting your light.

I have an open 20 amp breaker and was thinking I could remove the black wire from where it is and attach it to the open breaker
That doesn't make any sense.

Don't get too influenced by that open 20-amp breaker. A new one only costs five bucks.

The existing wire is a 12/2 with a ground.
Yes, but the existing cable goes to the light and you need a cable to the tub. I don't see how the existing wire helps you any.

Just run a new 12/2 from the panel to the tub. At the panel, connect the black wire to that open 20-amp breaker and the white wire to the neutral bar where a bunch of other white wires are connected (make sure you use a currently unused hole in the bar). Connect the other end of the 12/2 to the line-side of your GFCI receptacle. Plug in your tub.

Old 03-12-06, 10:45 AM
So the black goes to the breaker, the white goes to the neutral bar , where does the ground wire go. It seems all the other ground wires also go to the neutral bar. Is that correct?

Old 03-12-06, 10:47 AM
The 20 amp GFCI outlet was left over from another job. Can I use that for the pump which only needs a 15 amp one?

Old 03-12-06, 11:35 AM
In the panel containing the main disconnect, and only in the panel containing the main disconnect, the grounding wires and neutral wires are allowed to connect to the same bar, or to interconnected bars.

You can use the GFCI receptacle if you want (assuming it has slits compatible with the plug), but if it was manufactured more than three years ago, I encourage you to get a new one. The technology has improved.