Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Put nail Through romex,but circuit still works - Fire Hazard?

Put nail Through romex,but circuit still works - Fire Hazard?

Old 03-12-06, 08:55 AM
Red face Put nail Through romex,but circuit still works - Fire Hazard?

Hi -
We recently redid our den, and my husband accidently put a nail through romex when rehanging pictures. The circuit tripped, but he was able to just reset it. My question - how dangerous is it to leave it the way it is? Since the circuit is working, my husband says that there is not a problem, but I'm concerned about a possible fire hazard. It's 60's panelling, so we could remove it and rerun the romex, but he's hesitant to do so. What's your opinion?
Thanks -

Blessings,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 09:07 AM
Your husband is wrong. The potential danger is that a fire will occur, your house wuill burn own and you will all die.

You need to fix this problem. That section of cable needs to be replaced.

Old 03-12-06, 09:18 AM
Your husband is employing wishful thinking. However, this is a very serious hazard that won't go away by ignoring it.

And tell your husband to use shorter nails for pictures. Stick with nails and screws no longer than 1.5" and you should be able to avoid these problems. Think what would have happened if that cable had been a plumbing pipe instead.

Old 03-12-06, 09:41 AM
Hi - I posted the question for "ammunition" when my husband comes home from a business trip tonight - I have removed 20' of panelling, and replaced the romex, rewiring the outlets,and replacing and repainting the panels. However, when I removed the panelling, I noticed holes in other lines of romex - unfortunately, they run around other areas of the room, and would require a complete tear-down to replace them. Should I tear down the rest of the walls, and check for nail holes in the romex? Our house was built in 1965, so there is a high probability that there are other holes around... I understand the danger, but we have had no problems, and the house is still standing...
Also, we have used 1 1/4" nails to hang pictures, but the walls are the 1/4" panelling.....
Appreciate your input...

Blessings,

Old 03-12-06, 06:46 PM
Your wiring is not installed to Code.

It must be at least 1.5" behind the finished surface.

Of course you need to have it done correctly.
If not, have the city inspector condemn your house.

Old 03-12-06, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by bolide
Your wiring is not installed to Code.

It must be at least 1.5" behind the finished surface.
You can summize this from that post? I can't see where you find enough information to base this on.
Also, there is NO 1.5" rule. It is 1.25" from the face of the framing. Code does not care what the wall finish is.

Old 03-12-06, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Debbie Long
I noticed holes in other lines of romex - unfortunately, they run around other areas of the room, and would require a complete tear-down to replace them. Should I tear down the rest of the walls, and check for nail holes in the romex?
I would at least check it all.
You can cut open the sheathing and check to see if the conductor insulation is compromised. If it is not you can tape the sheathing back up with good electrical tape.

Old 03-12-06, 07:10 PM
OR.. While Hubby is away you can remodel the entire basement!!! Then you can explain to him how you took the micrometer out, and found that the entire dwelling unit was not to code! So you decided on your own to bring it into compliance, He'll be proud. And you all will be safer!

Old 03-13-06, 04:52 AM
The way I read your posts, the paneling is attached directly to the studs. I am not familiar with this, I am only familiar with paneling placed over Sheetrock. With paneling attached directly to the studs, I can certainly see how you can have a problem, especially if the wires are not run through the center of the 2 x 4 studs.

I agree with Speedy. You should inspect the wiring and replace any section that are damaged.

Last edited by racraft; 03-13-06 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-13-06, 07:35 AM
It seems from the information presented that this room was built without a building permit. There are quite a number of code violations evident or suggested.