2 3way switches and 2 lights

Old 03-12-06, 12:00 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2 3way switches and 2 lights

Could anyone help i would like to make both switches seperate so only one light comes on instead of 2.
Both switches are 3 way switches.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 12:08 PM
J
Anything is possible if you change the cabling in the walls. Are you willing to do that? If not, you probably cannot do what you want.

Old 03-12-06, 12:09 PM
T
i am not clear on your post, maybe its me, but you would like switch 1 to control light 1 and switch 2 to control light 2? open all boxes involved and describe wiring method.

Old 03-12-06, 12:54 PM
W
Red face

Yes all i want to do is control one light with one switch and the other light with other switch, at the moment both switches control both of the light.

Old 03-12-06, 01:08 PM
R
You probably cannot do this without at least running one new wire.

It all will depend on the present wiring. Tell us the wiring at each switch and at each light.

Understand that what you are proposing may very well create an unsafe situation and a code violation. generally speaking, three way and four way switches are provided to allow control of a light from multiple locations. Examples of typical locations include the top and bottom of stairs and multiple entrances for a room. In these situations, having two switches is usually required by code and by common sense. However, sometimes remodeling negates the need for the second switch.

I strongly suggest if you do make a change that you leave the original wiring intact and make detailed notes on how things are wired so that when you eventually sell the house you can put things back the way they are just in case a potential buyer demands it to be that way.

Old 03-12-06, 01:09 PM
J
We're waiting for more information.

Old 03-12-06, 01:14 PM
S
3-way switching

There are many ways to wire for 3-way switching. But the first question I would ask is ,"Was there already 3-way switches in place and you are just replacing them?"
If that is not the problem then I would have to know different information, like how many switches, how many wires at each location, color of the wires, for a start.

I don't know your location so I don't know if I could walk you through this on the phone or if I could fax you directions on a local call.

You may have already solved this problem.

I have over 35 years as a construction electrican and 7 years as an electrical inspector so I am sure we can solve your problem.

Let me know, John