Aboveground Pool

Old 03-14-06, 01:09 PM
Aboveground Pool

Hi Everyone,

I'm installing an aboveground pool and have a couple questions.

1) My pump motor is double insulated and does not have a ground lug. How should I complete my ground?

2) Can I run THHN/THHW wire from the from the box to the pool or should I run something different inside the house. I plan on putting an Interdynamic timer on the outside of the house where the wire exits. I'm also using rigid pipe outside.

Thanks,

Victor

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-06, 01:49 PM
1. Are you stating that the pump only has a two prong cord and plug? I have never seen a pool plug that only has this. Does the pump has the ground terminal that it is supposed to have to use for bonding purposes?

2. Inside the house you can use whatever you want. However, outside the house you MUST use individual conductors including an insulated ground wire.

There are plenty of other codes specific to pools. Please make sure you understand and follow them.

Old 03-14-06, 03:19 PM
Racraft,

Thanks for the response, I made a mistake the pump motor does have a ground lug. Do I need to do anything with the other end of the the ground wire. I plan on grounding each column with a lug and then to the pump motor.

Thanks,

Victor

Old 03-14-06, 03:36 PM
You generally don't need to bond each column to the pump. In my area they require a single column to be bonded. In other areas I have heard they require three or four columns evenly spaced around the pool to be bonded.

Do you have the required supplemental receptacle located nearby (within ten to twenty feet of the pool edge? Is the pump plug properly spaced five to ten feet from the pool? IS this a proper 20 amp circuit? Is there GFCI protection on the circuit?

Old 03-14-06, 03:36 PM
I think the ground wire needs to be run with the other conductors that supply the motor. I would be very concerned if the motor is fed by two ungrounded conductors and no equipment "ground".

So the answer must be that your motor has a three-prong plug and three-wire cord.

Old 03-14-06, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Victor, This is an area you must be very carefull with. SAFETY first of course !
As others will tell you each geographical area has it's own regs, So check with you'r AHJ.
My area wich I know differs with many others, For 1 we must have a gruonding conductor NOT smaller than # 12.( yrs past it had to be continuos, PIPE all the way- now RX inside, pipe outside) limiting it to a 12ga. min.. We MUST have a twist lock rec. & plug for cord/plug equip.. The bonding I beleive is the same, Basicaly if the pool is BOLTED together 1 point bonding is ok, If it is commpresion or slip fit All stantions and matal peices must be bonded, Including the removable ladder. ( just a summary).
So I think this is why you should speak with the AHJ.

And changing a factory #14 cord to a # 12 SO tw lock, dos'nt that void UL? I digress again, Sorry.

Old 03-14-06, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
You generally don't need to bond each column to the pump. In my area they require a single column to be bonded. In other areas I have heard they require three or four columns evenly spaced around the pool to be bonded.

Do you have the required supplemental receptacle located nearby (within ten to twenty feet of the pool edge? Is the pump plug properly spaced five to ten feet from the pool? IS this a proper 20 amp circuit? Is there GFCI protection on the circuit?

I have a convenience out about 16 feet from the pool and the pool receptacle is about 7 feet from the pool. It is a 20 Amp GFCI circuit.

My area wich I know differs with many others, For 1 we must have a gruonding conductor NOT smaller than # 12.( yrs past it had to be continuos, PIPE all the way- now RX inside, pipe outside) limiting it to a 12ga. min.. We MUST have a twist lock rec. & plug for cord/plug equip.. The bonding I beleive is the same, Basicaly if the pool is BOLTED together 1 point bonding is ok, If it is commpresion or slip fit All stantions and matal peices must be bonded, Including the removable ladder.

The ground wire will be 8awg. I do have a 3 prong twist lock plug and receptacle, the only thing I have not purchased is my 12 wire (THHN/THHW ). When I go to the supply house to buy this, is it known as something else? like 12/2xx or something?

Thanks again.

Victor

Old 03-14-06, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by victor1
The ground wire will be 8awg.
I know this may sound trivial but it is an important clarification. You keep saying ground when you mean BOND. The #8 to the pool frame and the lug on the outside of the motor are bond points. NOT grounds.
There actually is a BIG difference.

Old 03-14-06, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by victor1
the only thing I have not purchased is my 12 wire (THHN/THHW ). When I go to the supply house to buy this, is it known as something else? like 12/2xx or something?
Sorry. Forgot to answer this.
No, THHN/THWN is a conductor. There is no such thing as 12/2 THHN. It is simply #12 THHN.