ONTARIO, Canada - rules/laws

Old 03-14-06, 05:20 PM
ONTARIO, Canada - rules/laws

Hey there. I was wondering if there are any actual rules or laws in the province of Ontario (Canada) about home owners doing their own electrical work in their home. Are non-certified non-electricians allowed to...say rewire a house?

Existing 100amp service from the street has already been professionally provided (but the box must be upgraded from 60 to 100amps). Assume that this owner has all the knowledge, and some experienced help. Assume also that an inspection will take place after the work is completed (for insurance).

Is this allowed? Can the work be done?

Thanx in advance,

B

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-06, 06:49 PM
Home owners are allowed to do their own work in Ontario.
As of Jan 2007 non-certified non-electricians will not be allowed to charge for work to wire a house. I don't think this applies to work on your own home.

Last edited by joed; 03-15-06 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-14-06, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get a copy of The Canadian Electrical Code, or check for a copy in the library. You may be able to do it yourself, but you want to do it safely.

Old 03-15-06, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar
Get a copy of The Canadian Electrical Code, or check for a copy in the library. You may be able to do it yourself, but you want to do it safely.
Safety first. For sure. But I'm just trying to find out if I am ALLOWED to do the work myself.

Any other advice out there?

-R

Old 03-15-06, 04:49 PM
http://www.esainspection.net/

You are allowed to do your own work in Ontario. You must have it inspected though.

Old 03-15-06, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by joed
http://www.esainspection.net/

You are allowed to do your own work in Ontario. You must have it inspected though.
Before...during or just after it is all done? Mind you the service to the house in complete... I'm just talking about upgrading the box, and the rewiring.

-r

Old 03-15-06, 08:03 PM
You are allowed to do any type of wiring you like on your house as long as it is inspected. You can wire the house from start to finish if you like.

Old 03-17-06, 10:20 AM
First you need to get a permit from the city. You'll have to provide them with details of what you're planning and then they may carry out several inspections over the course of the project. You can do it yourself but you need the permit and inspections. If you don't get the permit and inspections, you're insurance will walk away from any claims if it can be proved that the work that you did caused the claim. If there's injury or loss of life you could be responsible.

Don't take a chance with a project this big. Get the permit and inspections and let the government bear the responsibility. Believe it or not the permit is for your protection. The inspectors have tons of experience and are usually willing to share their knowledge unless they feel that you are absolutely not qualified to do the job. If they get that feeling, they may even suggest that you call in a professional or refuse the permit.