Leviton Triplex receptacles

Old 03-15-06, 07:01 AM
Leviton Triplex receptacles

What do you folks think about these new Leviton Acenti triplex receptacles?
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...odel_AC315.htm
They are quite expensive, but if you need one extra outlet in a particular location, it might be easier to install one of these than put in a bigger box with an extra duplex receptacle.

I saw these in a Wall Street Journal article last Friday about new electrical switches/outlets. HD is supposed to be selling them, but my local didn't have them yet.

The only thing I don't like is that they are a bit wider than decora switches/receptacles, in order to accommodate the extra outlet. I want to install a couple of these in my kitchen, but I'd need wall plates that can also accommodate a regular light switch in a two-gang box. The only Acenti wall plates I've seen are single, double, triple, etc. plates to accommodate more than one Acenti device. I'd hate to have to use an expensive Acenti toggle switch instead of my regular toggle.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 07:21 AM
I think you will certainly have a problem with these if you have a right angle plug where the cord would run toward the center of the device, if you want to plug in more than one item.

Old 03-15-06, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by jumpyg
What do you folks think about these new Leviton Acenti triplex receptacles?
Now we'll NEVER settle the upside-down debate!!

Old 03-15-06, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by MAC702
Now we'll NEVER settle the upside-down debate!!
Good point, MAC. But besides depicting it wrong-side up on their website, this eliminates the argument nicely.

Old 03-15-06, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is CRAZY !!!!!!!!!!! DIAGONAL want even work!!!!!!! Sigh.............

Old 03-15-06, 05:14 PM
One nice feature of the really old (2-bladed, no ground) triplex receps was the ability to have one switched and two always-powered receps on the same yoke. Maybe that was also available with a later triplex line.

But I didn't see any mention or drawing of knockout tabs & dual terminals for this line.

Old 03-15-06, 06:04 PM
A great novelty. Wll contribute to cord clutter perhaps? Hey guys, what does NEMA mean???

Old 03-15-06, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Capt
A great novelty. Wll contribute to cord clutter perhaps? Hey guys, what does NEMA mean???
National Electrical Manufactures Association

Old 03-15-06, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unhappy

One nice feature of the really old (2-bladed, no ground) triplex receps was the ability to have one switched and two always-powered receps on the same yoke. Maybe that was also available with a later triplex line.

Hi Cap'n,
Your right, there is no mention of switching capability.I only saw one neutral connection. They may however be convenient for Christmas (Holiday) lights.Seamless and gangable? Is that with only these devices? Another item they did'nt hit. Nothing worse than having a good idea/solution, and it does'nt work out.

Old 03-15-06, 08:08 PM
Plug in one angle plug and you might as well only have one receptacle. Most of the angle plugs I have seen the cord goes towards the ground.

Old 03-16-06, 04:34 PM
OKay.............so what does NEMA rated mean? How does this compare to Underwriter Lab (UL) listed?

Old 03-16-06, 04:40 PM
OKay.............so what does NEMA rated mean? How does this compare to Underwriter Lab (UL) listed?
very briefly and semi accurately: NEMA sets up standards for manufacturing, so things are more or less compatible between different makers. UL is a test house and tests for safety related issues, fire, shock, so forth.