Need a little more help on Transfer Switch

Old 03-16-06, 06:01 AM
Need a little more help on Transfer Switch

Recap:
Installing a sub panel transfer switch to my existing 100 amp service. The generator is rated at 5000 watts; the transfer switch panel is rated at 60 amps on the utility side and 20 amps on the generator side. The sub panel is going to be hard wired to a receptacle box in the garage where I will plug in the generator when needed. That run from the generator to the transfer panel is about feet.

In the last thread when I asked for information; I think it was "sruffin" who suggested running four 10 gauge copper wires from the panel to the receptacle.

I have a family member come and look at what I want to do who is a licensed electrician (works in commercial/industrial not residential) He said I should run 8 gauge wire back to the generator incase I decide to upgrade to a larger generator.
Thing is, in pricing THHN wire locally, the cost for 8 gauge when compared to 10 gauge is nearly double. I need a total of 140 so I'm looking at spending about 35 bucks for the #10 versus about 65 bucks for the #8.

What do you think......Should I take his advice and use the #8 wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-06, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you imagine upgrading your generator?
Is the wire run going to be in coduit or cable?
If cable you have one shot. If conduit then you can size the raceway for future use.
This sounds like a personal preferance.
Personaly I would go with the larger wire, For "justin"(justin case).Also you can consider any voltage drop, (I have'nt done the math).

Old 03-16-06, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just re-read, looks like conduit, If $ is the issue now, Go with a larger conduit size.
If you plan on an upgrade in a yr or two, $35 now-or-$65 now, copper is not going to get cheaper

Old 03-16-06, 07:14 AM
It's a pretty personal question. Depends on what you think the likelihood of wanting to upgrade in the future is. Life is easier if we can predict the future.

Old 03-16-06, 07:32 AM
Over that distance the thicker copper will perform better even if you never upgrade.

Old 03-16-06, 08:45 AM
So the general consensus here is: bite the bullet, spend the extra 30 or 35 bucks and go with the 8 gauge wire?

That’s kinda’ what I was thinking too, The money isn’t really the issue, I just wanted to make sure the larger wire isn’t overkill…..
Thanks guys!

Oh, one other thing! Is ¾ emt conduit sufficient for running four conductors of copper, 8-gauge, stranded THHN? (I hope so, I already have the ¾” conduit)
Phil

Old 03-16-06, 09:06 AM
3/4" EMT is fine.