Electrical Questions

Old 03-16-06, 12:41 PM
Electrical Questions

I bought a house that was updated several years ago and have a few questions:

The dishwasher. It's on a 15 amp breaker on a dedicated line using a 12 gauge wire coming out of the elec box that changes to a 14 gauge later. I read from the manufacturer's book in Lowe's that it's suppesed to be on a 10 amp line.

The 1000w microwave, the outlet in the kitchen and bathroom are on the same 15 amp breaker using 14 gauge wire. There is a GFI outlet at both the kitchen and bathroom outlets.

The panel box and elec wires look well installed and the wiring is pretty much in conduit.

Where are my problems and how much of them would be caught by an inspector when I sell the house? Also, should the microwave and/or dishwasher be on dedicated lines per code?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-06, 12:55 PM
There is nothing you present that is dangerous. The wiring is not up to today's code, but may have been when it was wired.

There is nothing wrong or unsafe about the dishwasher installation. It's not good pactice to switch wire sizes (because it MAY confuse someone), but it's not wrong in this case.

A home inspector might very well point out that the microwave and bathroom are a potential problem and are no longer to code. However, all he can do is point it out.

Old 03-16-06, 01:00 PM
Thanks!!!

I have been living here for a few years and never had so much as a breaker trip but I just wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks again.