Transfer Panel one more time (Sorry!)


Old 03-17-06, 08:08 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sterling Heights
Posts: 308
Transfer Panel one more time (Sorry!)

The transer panel I purchased has a 60 amp doule pole breaker on the utility side; the instructions are telling me to purchase another 60 amp double pole breaker for the main service to feed the transfer panel.

Not being an electrician, it seems odd to me to use a breaker to feed another breaker......I've seen this on A/C service too where there is a two-pole, 30 amp breaker in the main panel that feeds another two-pole, 30 amp breaker mounted in an outdoor box near the A/C condensing unit.

Is this considered "Double" protection? Is it okay.... It must be okay to do it on the transfer panel, I can't imagine a company like Gen/Tran giving wrong installation info!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-06, 08:22 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
The transfer panel you bought is a sub panel. You need to provide wire from your main panel to the transfer switch. You do this via a circuit breaker in your main panel. The circuit breaker in your main panel protects the wire going from the main panel to the sub panel.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes