New Outlet and Switch?

Old 03-17-06, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Outlet and Switch?

Ive just finished framing a small, 5 X 10 foot, storage room in my basement. It needs a light on a switch, and Id also like to put two outlets in the same box as the switch that are always on. My electrical skills are, at best, remedial but I think I can do this little task myself with some help.

Just outside the room is a light for the basement and the conduit runs inside the room. Can I cut this conduit and the wires inside, add a box and run conduit and wire to the wall where I want the switch and outlets? How would I wire this to have the switch turn on the light and have continuous power to the outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-06, 01:31 PM
May I recommend that you put the receptacles in a separate box or boxes? It will be much easier for you to wire, and probably more convenient to use.

If the room is unfinished, the receptacles will need to be GFCI protected. Is the room unfinished?

When you say "two outlets", do you mean one duplex receptacle, or two duplex receptacles?

May I ask what you plan to use these receptacles for?

May I ask what you plan to store in this storage room?

Do you live in a city that requires conduit for all wiring?

What all is on this circuit?

Old 03-17-06, 01:52 PM
There are several issues to consider.

Is this circuit switched where you would be splicing into it? If it is switched then it won't do your new room much good.

What else is on the circuit? If the circuit is heavily loaded already, or near it's limit, then you would need to find a different circuit to use, or run a new circuit.

There are also certain items which could be on the circuit which would prevent you from tapping into it. These would include bathroom receptacles. kitchen or dining room receptacles or laundry receptacles.

If you determine that you can use the circuit, then you could have to tap into it as you suggest. However, the wires inside the conduit would not be long enough to cut and splice, so you would have to replace one side back to the next junction (light, switch, whatever).

As for the actual wiring, wiring a switched light and several receptacles is about the easiest job there is. I recommend the book Wiring Simplified to help you determine the correct wiring. While we could tell you, it will be better for you if you READ the book and learn it on your own, as you will also pick up many other useful things you probably don;t know.

Old 03-25-06, 02:17 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to both of you but other "projects" from the "Honey Do" list have come up. I hope I can answer all your questions.

If the room is unfinished, the receptacles will need to be GFCI protected. Is the room unfinished?
Right now the room is just framed, but I'll be insulating the walls then putting up dry wall on both sides of the framing.

When you say "two outlets", do you mean one duplex receptacle, or two duplex receptacles?
One duplex receptacle and one switch to turn the light on and off in the same box.

May I ask what you plan to use these receptacles for?
Most likely as an "extra" outlet for an extension cord if I needed it in the back half of the basement, other than that probably not much of anything else There will be a door in the rear of this room to access my work room in the rear of the basesment.

May I ask what you plan to store in this storage room?
Primarily it will be used for kitchen storage, an extension of the pantry. Dry & canned food stuffs, pots, pans paper products, etc.

Do you live in a city that requires conduit for all wiring?
Yes everything has to be in a pipe. No cables

What all is on this circuit?
Only thing on this circuit are the 6 light in the basement. Standard cheapo light fixtures.

Is this circuit switched where you would be splicing into it? If it is switched then it won't do your new room much good.
Yes it is. It's something I didn't even think of! Guess that answers all my questions! Back to the drawing board!

As for the actual wiring, wiring a switched light and several receptacles is about the easiest job there is. I recommend the book Wiring Simplified to help you determine the correct wiring. While we could tell you, it will be better for you if you READ the book and learn it on your own, as you will also pick up many other useful things you probably don;t know.

I'll have to look for thihs book and start over again. Thanks to both of you for your help and information.

Old 03-25-06, 06:58 PM
Well, you can probably add an unswitched wire from the source (switch, first fixture),as it is in pipe.

I'd not cut the conduit, but run from an existing box to the light box in the room, and from that to the swicth/outlet. I'd also consider putting an outlet on the other side of the room, if not comply with the 12 ft rule.